Appliance installation advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Standard kitchen, Standard mains

Oven = 3.5kW
Combi oven = 3.6kW
Hob = 6.8kW

Cable run (mostly in ceiling/floor void) approx 9m from consumer unit to switch. Switch adjacent to ovens and within 2 metres of hob.
Would like switch to have 3 pin socket.

Is proposed switch location ok?
Which cable should I use?
Can all appliances be on a single circuit?
What MCB rating should I have?
What switch rating(s) should I use?

Thank in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do searches for oven circuits - there are lots of ideas here. I would split the load, one for hob & one for two ovens.

Both 45A with suitable cable - search for voltage drop. That way you will have enough capacity for the ovens & a 13A socket on each circuit.

I would also check your CU, meter & main fuse (last two are REC's responsibility) to see that they are up to the job.

Thanks for the reply. I searched as suggested but found little. I will split the appliances as you suggest; its about time I had a new CU anyway.

So for future visitors, this is what I will do/have done:
3.5kW oven and 3.6kW combi oven at one end on 9 metres of 6mm cable with a standard 45A cooker switch (no 3 pin socket) adjacent to ovens and a 40A MCB.

6.8kW hob at one end on 11 metres of 6mm cable with standard 45A cooker switch (including 3 pin outlet) within 2 metres of hob. This is also protected by a 40A MCB. These circuits, being high current, will be fitted in my (new) Consumer unit near to the isolator switch, immediately after my shower circuit which is likely to be either a 45A or 50A MCB through 14 metres of 10mm cable to my 10kW ish shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back