Application form advice Re:Mental Health - Update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if you could offer me some advice.
Basic details are, at the age of 13 I stopped going to school because of a condition called social anxiety disorder (social phobia). Luckily, I was able to get into a place where they teach kids with problems in small groups, and I left with Maths, Science & English GCSEs, all at C. I signed up to college the year I left, however the aforementioned condition took over and I wasn't able to attend. Now, the condition is under control through the help of medication (Sertraline, if anybody's interested), and I feel able to start seriously considering an apprenticeship, which is where I'm looking for some advice.
I'm now very nearly 19, but because of the condition, I've been unable to do any sort of job, except for around 9 months voluntary work. I have an application form for an electrical apprenticeship, and I'm looking for advice on what to put on it regarding my lack of job history etc, and into how much detail I should go into as to why that is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc.

Sponsored Links
Im no doctor but ive a feeling that it looks like your a battler and have gained enough courage and confidence in order to change your life for the better and start to interact with other folk, good luck to you!

As far as the job seeking is concerned I can't see any problem with applying for a job and letting your prospective employer know of your past, any respectable employer would judge you on your work and presentation as it is now not based on any past affliction.

It seems to me that you have the need to be accepted by others and i'm sure that once aware any employer and employees would go out of their way to accept you and gain your friendship, most workers are a friendly bunch with a few exceptions ;)

It may be just what you need, something to throw yourself into and forget any problems you may have had.

I sincerly wish you luck in your future career and hope you will let the forum members here know how you get on.

So just fill out the form and fingers crossed you may be surprised just how friendly folk can be. ;)

Ocam, you have a story to tell so put a covering letter with your application on the same lines as your post above. Your post explained things clearly to me and I would certainly have selected you for an interview.

Good luck with the job hunting and please keep us posted of your progress.

Thank you both for the advice and, in particular, the kind words. They certainly brought a smile to my face :D. I'll write a covering letter & get it posted, and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,
Marc.

Sponsored Links
Quick update...

Well, unfortunately my applications for this apprenticeship, and one I applied for more recently, due to the sheer number of applicants, weren't selected to be processed any further :(.

Obviously I've had setbacks before, so chin up :D, and I'll keep on trying.

Thanks again,
Marc.

P.S. In the off chance that somebody reading this is in Grimsby/Cleethorpes/surrounding areas and may have something suitable for me, please PM me :).

That's it chin up dont give up and you will be successful eventually, dont forget you're not the only one whose searching for jobs these days its certainly a jungle out there, but just reading into your posts you seem the right type of person that firms need these days, someone very willing to get stuck in.

Good luck with the job hunting and dont forget to let us know when you get that job.

All the best!

That's it chin up dont give up and you will be successful eventually, dont forget you're not the only one whose searching for jobs these days its certainly a jungle out there, but just reading into your posts you seem the right type of person that firms need these days, someone very willing to get stuck in.

Good luck with the job hunting and dont forget to let us know when you get that job.

All the best!

Marc.

Sponsored Links
Back