Applying for planning again after you already got permission!

Sponsored Links
Building a wall in a different place, and adding a roof of a different style is not unfinished

I'm struggling to think of a scenario where the local authority would take enforcement action because the homeowner did not build the upper floor of an approved two storey extension and made the footprint of the ground floor smaller.

As long as it is not a listed building, conservation area etc. and the new single storey extension is not hideously ugly such a a large flat roof extension on the front of the house, then I would be inclined to just crack on and build the smaller extension.

Sponsored Links
I agree with wessex, the LPA will not use a completion notice unless the partially completed extension is some sort of public nuisance or an eyesore, or something. If you complete it as a single storey and finish it tidily the chances of running into problems are virtually zero. Where I might look to an amendment or revised planning is if you plan to sell the property immediately. In that case it would be sensible to have the planning amended.

I agree with wessex, the LPA will not use a completion notice unless the partially completed extension is some sort of public nuisance or an eyesore, or something. If you complete it as a single storey and finish it tidily the chances of running into problems are virtually zero. Where I might look to an amendment or revised planning is if you plan to sell the property immediately. In that case it would be sensible to have the planning amended.
Thanks, when you say sell immediately do you mean less than 12 months?
Also would the difference in the appearance from the front not cause a problem?

Last edited:
Ok then.

Let's say at sale time a nice clued up surveyor working for the buyer, reports that the extension - as built, is not in accordance with the planning permission, and is a risky purchase for a new owner. The surveyor may also quantify the risk in terms of a cash reduction of the asking price to reflect the risk should the buyer not pull out.

And if the owner tells the buyer to do one, the owner will hope that the enquiries made with the LPA do not create any investigation (even if we assume no action will ultimately be taken) that scuppers any future sale to others or needs to be declared as unlawful work in new sale particulars, and requiring a LDC.

Problem is, solicitors (conveyancers) are not always the brightest bunch, and if they refuse to move because the boxes aren't ticked, that can put a long hold or even stop a sale. If you plan to sell within 12 months I would advise getting it sorted now. You could try a minor amendment but you'll most likely have to reapply.

Incidentally, if it's not a 'minor amendment', and you find yourself going down the 'new application' route, it's probably still substantially similar to the original application and thereby falls under the 'one-free-go' rule, which applies regardless of whether an application is withdrawn, refused, or APPROVED!

Incidentally, if it's not a 'minor amendment', and you find yourself going down the 'new application' route, it's probably still substantially similar to the original application and thereby falls under the 'one-free-go' rule, which applies regardless of whether an application is withdrawn, refused, or APPROVED!
I never realised that you could get a free go if the app was approved.

That could really tie the planners up if everyone started doing that.

The nice surveyor would report on it being not in accordance with the planning permission.

Do pay attention.

I don't know how things work on planet Woody but down here on Earth surveyors do not check planning applications to make sure that extensions are built in accordance with the approved drawings. You will just get a generic note advising to check that building regulations and planning approvals have been received. And hey presto there will be a planning approval for "an" extension so the solicitor will be happy.

I don't know how things work on planet Woody but down here on Earth surveyors do not check planning applications to make sure that extensions are built in accordance with the approved drawings. You will just get a generic note advising to check that building regulations and planning approvals have been received. And hey presto there will be a planning approval for "an" extension so the solicitor will be happy.
Lol.

I'm a surveyor and I check everything, as that's what the client is paying for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back