Applying matt emulsion over soft sheen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Do I need to prime or lightly key a soft sheen wall if applying matt emulsion over it? It's the Valspar V700 matt which says it's a paint and primer in one so assume it'll go on fine. 110sq m of hall and landing to redo so could well do without any prep!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a quick google for "Valspar paint smell of cat urine" before you do check if your batch might be affected;)
As a rule matt over matt is OK, vinyl silk over matt is OK matt over vinyl silk is the main problem one. Users are often advised to paint with soft sheen as an intermediate coat before painting matt over vinyl silk so you should be OK.
Still a good idea to wash down and give it a light rub I would think, maybe do a test area before committing to the whole lot!

Combined paint & primers are popular over here and generally tend to adhere to anything but, with it being the UK version of Valspar that you are using (it's really not the same as it's US version), I would recommend a light sanding with 180 grit just to give a key and remember to dust off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back