Applying tiles to new drywall in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We built an extension and the builders have already installed the drywall around the bath/shower. I need to tile and wondered what I need to do to prepare the drywall properly. Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Before doing anything, I would ask the builder why he had use standard plasterboard in the shower area. It should be a water/rot resistant variety, eg hardi-backer or cementboard

ps you might be better off asking this question in the tiling section

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=30

Well being as it's already built you need a 'tanking kit'.

This is in a house my wife bought to refurbish as an investment. She had her brother "managing" the project and he hired a muppet builder who caused more work that needs to be put right. My brother in law has been fired and I am now in charge of all the fixing. After more research, I anticipated needing to buy a tanking kit and ordered one last nght. If I receive convincing advise, I will replace the standard drywall with greenboard and tank the shower area. What do you think - greenboard?

Sponsored Links
I think that the advice if going for large/thick tiles is to use one of the cement boards because of the weight.

I might be wrong but I think that with some cement boards it is possible to remove tiles without destroying the board, unlike the pink plasterboard. This may be worth considering if you are planning to hold on to the property for some time. hopefully others can confirm this.

Cement boards however are more expensive and slower to fit.

I looked into the cost and pain involved with the cement boards which put me off. I also see on several other forums that there are widely differing views on when cement boards are appropriate - wet rooms/basements. As this application is going to be around a tub/shower, I think I may just go with either tanking the existing plasterboard and hope that last for 5+ years or replace with the greenboard and maybe get additional longevity. Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like you'll make a good landlord. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back