Apprentice needing help, DT for a Combi Plate Heat Exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am an apprentice gas engineer and was wondering if anyone can advise on what differential temperature i should have across combi plate heat exchangers.

I am looking for a sort of generic answer if possible to check for blockages etc

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would look at the main flow & return on the plate as that is usually that side of the plate that blocks. If u put a flow temp meter on the flow as it comes out the main h ex going to the plate it will b between 60 - 70 when supplying DHW. When u turn off the DHW u need the latent heat to be dispersed through the bypass via the pump over run. On a perfect day the temp of the flow will not go up and will slowly go down - but if the plate is blocked the heat cant disapate quick enough & the temp will rise. 80 would be my max as a blocked one can easy get over 100 degrees. If u have a temp meter see what happens on your next 10 combi boilers

It varies between different boilers and of course with the DHW flow rate.

But typically at max flow rate and a 35 C diff then its usually about 15-20 C.

Tony

Sponsored Links
10-15c temp diff. Much more and your heading down the blocked route.

The HW temp should be the same as the primary return temp if the plates good.

Just ran my bath... 69 in on primary, 33 out.

Guessing 13 or so in on domestic, averaged 53 out, blended to 45. Domestic flow @ 21 l/min, primary? Dunno, Will 15-60 IIRC on slowest speed.

Just ran my bath... 69 in on primary, 33 out.

Guessing 13 or so in on domestic, averaged 53 out, blended to 45. Domestic flow @ 21 l/min, primary? Dunno, Will 15-60 IIRC on slowest speed.

Dan thats going to mean fook all to an apprentice :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Perraps I should have spell checked it and changed it to Wilo instead will ;)

Still, figures are figures and mine ain't blocked.... shall I give him a hint? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back