Apps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, regular visitors will know first-born now has an Android smartphone.

I have seen loads of apps and cannot decide which is best.

First one is an app to keep track of how much of his monthly allowance he has used. CPW offered me bill angel, but by all accounts it is not accurate.

Second is one I can use to track his handset. I don't by any means want to spy on him, but it would be handy if it was lost or stolen.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am on 3, and they have a (free) widget / app that keeps basically realtime track of usage. I expect other networks have similar.
Can't help with the tracker, I'm afraid.

You can set a track on his phone, you need his permission.
You can also set phones so if they are lost/stolen, you can send a command to lock it.
There isnt much you cant do with one, even my dog has learnt how to use it as a chew. I didnt laugh though.

Another free download is "blocker" which will enable him to block unwanted callers or texters ;)

Then there's google goggles, which is handy for those QR things.

Don't forget to get some cloud space for music and piccies (we use the Amazon ones for about £6 pa for documents and photos, and £20 pa for all the music we have). Just make sure that he downloads what he wants from these clouds whilst on wifi at home or at free hotspots, and make sure that he knows how to turn off roaming data quickly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments so far! Sorted the tracking bit!

Samsungdive. Free. Brilliant for nowt. Recommend it to all owners of applicable Samsung handsets.

Now to find a usage tracking app.... ;)

If he opens settings, is there not a usage monitor on there also? I've got an S2, but it might be a common inbuilt app??

Secure...not sure about the apps but may I suggest you get the phones serial number by pressing *#06# then registering it on immobiliser.com which is free, you can also register other items and its quite a good site..but if you lose your brand new phone or it is stolen and recovered it will be returned to you...any other members reading this I suggest you also go on tis site and register your stuff.

Have installed Prey on desktop and smartphone.

But, how do I add Mrs Secure's laptop?

If I go on her lappy and download the Prey software, won't it assume a new install on her machine, rather than linking it to the existing account?

Also, don't quite understand the STOP PREY & GO PREY SMS commands. These I understand will activate & deactivate Prey, but can it be done from any mobile?

Presumably, you can activate Prey from a PC too? But I assume you can activate it from a mobile as well if you can't get to a PC?

Still not found an allowance usage app!

Have installed Prey on desktop and smartphone.

But, how do I add Mrs Secure's laptop?

From Mrs secures lappy, go to www.preyproject.com. log on (top left on home page) with the credentials you supplied on ur laptop. Click on add device, download the relevant prey software and install. Job done.

If I go on her lappy and download the Prey software, won't it assume a new install on her machine, rather than linking it to the existing account?

Not cos you'll have logged into ur exisiting original account.

Also, don't quite understand the STOP PREY & GO PREY SMS commands. These I understand will activate & deactivate Prey, but can it be done from any mobile?

Yes, other wise it would be a bit pointless. However i confess I've not used the mobile version of prey.

Presumably, you can activate Prey from a PC too? But I assume you can activate it from a mobile as well if you can't get to a PC?

Yes as again it would be a bit pointless.

Still not found a allowage usage app!

Thanks!

The SMS you send to the stolen handset?

Yeah, sorry about the last comment. My brain got tied up in knots over the worms. Doesn't take much.

That prey is great - got it on my phone and laptop, and will get it on my son;t phone later.

The free version only allows 3 devices, which is mighty fine given what you're getting for nought, but I wonder if using one of my other email addresses will permit another 3, or whether it will recognise my IP and limit dual usage.

Sponsored Links
Back