Aquaboard or marine ply?

10mm will probably be OK on studwork but, personally, I would stick with 12.5mm due to your stud spacing.

You should bear in mind though that 10mm or even 12.5mm isn’t going to give you much of an increase in thermal efficiency if you use it on an external wall. If you really want to make a difference, I would consider using 20mm board on there; more expensive sure but, after all, you only going to be doing it once.

Sponsored Links
to be honest, i'm not really concerned about the insulating side of things as the main purpose for it was to have a decent backing for the tiles rather then tiling straight onto the painted plasterboard.

I won't be tiling the whole of the bathroom, just the small area above & around the bath where the showerhead will be. Will just be nice to have a shower rather than baths all the time. Standalone baths are nice, but a tad impractical

to be honest, i'm not really concerned about the insulating side of things as the main purpose for it was to have a decent backing for the tiles rather then tiling straight onto the painted plasterboard.
Sorry, I got a little confused with another OP I’m posting at the moment.

I won't be tiling the whole of the bathroom, just the small area above & around the bath where the showerhead will be. Will just be nice to have a shower rather than baths all the time. Standalone baths are nice, but a tad impractical
Marmox (unlike some) can be plastered with jus a PVA primer.

:LOL: that's fine! happens to me too! would priming the marmox be optional or a deffo requirement?

Sponsored Links
You don’t normally need to prime before tiling but check your adhesive manufacturer’s recommendations. The PVA primer is only if you want plaster the Marmox (standard procedure), whatever you do don’t use PVA on your tile base. On second thoughts & to avoid any confusion, I would have been better to advise you to use an SBR based primer under the plaster which is also acceptable.

& don’t forget, use only quality trade adhesive & grout products of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheap DIY stuff is generally crap.

cheers for that. I won't be plastering the marmox, just want a decent waterproof backing for the tiles to go on. Usually me and my OH's dad use powdered adhesive, rather than the all in 1 stuff in tubs

I would never use or advise “all in one stuff”, it’s total crap but don’t misunderstand tub ready mix addy which is not the same. There are some excellent tub addy’s around but it has limitations due to being water based & relying on evaporation to cure rather than the chemical cure of cement based adhesive. Tub addy is cheap & perfect for smaller format tiles but will cause real problems with initial “grab” & setting time before grout above 30x 30 cm; for this reason I use & advise powder addy on anything much larger than 25 x 25cm.

Hi Richard, could you let me know your thoughts on hardiebacker board. They do a 800 x 1200 12mm sheet which is the perfect size for the area I want to tile and been quoted a reasonable price per board, as none of the tile places near me seem to stock marmox and online places are charging a fair amount for delivery or seem to have long lead times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back