Arc welding

C

chrissib

I have this ARC welding equipment, but have never really managed to weld anything properly. I have tried various projects, from car exhausts to BBQ's but am now totally fed up with the amount of jobs that should be possible, but just dont cut it.

The welds seem to take, but the peises just pull apart again. I have tried different settings on the power guage, and cant see what I am doing wrong.

The latest today, was trying to weld a steel pipe to a steel bracket. A bit untidy at first, then when finished, just pulled apart.

Any advice, before I throw the lot in the bin.

Sponsored Links
Practice, mon ami.....start by welding 3mm flat mild steel bar, and set the welder to 90 amps. This will give you good penetration, and a genuine weld. All you are doing is sticking the rod to the parent metal - you aren't melting the two together.
Try just laying down the welding rod - you don't have to stick bits together.
Lay the bar flat; start at the end away from you; move the rod in a gentle 'U' pattern coming slowly towards you so you dont get slag traps. Keep the electrode at about 60 degrees sloping towards you.
You'll know you are getting there when a slightest tap shifts the slag in one lump!
Pre heat the welding rods if they have got damp, and if you have a shaky hand, hold the electrode in a thickly gloved hand when you strike the arc. Much easier than having the rod tip waving about!
Forget about welding exhausts and body parts with an arc welder - you need a MIG for that.
Stick with it!!
John :)

Sponsored Links
My old man is a welder by trade, and has at length, told me about the various pitfalls about the various types of welding setup, and I could never weld, but solder OK..So MIG TIG rod, whatever, it is all alien to me, just find whatever you need to weld, and learn.

When I welded, I could see jack all through the screen, which was an immediate disadvantage.

Then I blew holes through the metal, as I couldn't see what I was doing..

And in the end...it was poor, no RUBBISH. I'm no welder. But my old man welded a plate in my washer/dryer, and the spots are spot on, fitted together, and the machine is up and running again. With a MIG welder? (cheap version?)

just a thought but are you using the right size electrodes for the metal you are wanting to weld and also at the right amperage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back