Mini arc stick welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have integrated exhaust tips that are originally spot welded to a shroud like a tunnel where the exhaust gasses come out of. Problem is one of the tips has rusted metal at the spot weld spot and broken out. There are some cheap mini arc spot welding machines on eBay as low as £45. Can I use this? Any tips or ideas?

Sponsored Links
These are stainless decorative trims, I think?

Isn't the rest of the pipe also rusting away?

These are stainless decorative trims, I think?

Isn't the rest of the pipe also rusting away?

The tip is stainless and inside it is another type of metal that is spot welded. Rest of the pipe seems fine just that area broke off

Sponsored Links
Can you give us a picture of this one John?
How do you feel about dropping the silencer out of the car?
John :)

Can you give us a picture of this one John?
How do you feel about dropping the silencer out of the car?
John :)

Here are some pics. One the first pic you can see a line like hole and on the second picture is the rear of the tip and you can see the L shaped like metal bracket which was spot welded to that spot where the line hole is so its just come off. And there were two small blobs at the bottom creating a tack

SF9tKOe.png

GRYyhWL.png

A stick welder will just burn holes in too thin metal, you need mig or tig, or a gas torch.

Ahh that's what I was worried about. There's not much material so blowing a hole will waste it away lol.

Other option is that I could potentially put self tapping metal screw from behind that taps into the metal L plate.

If I was to be able to somehow use a self tapping stainless steel screw to hold up the L plate to the shroud, then all I will have remaining to do is hold the bottom from flapping. I was thinking of drilling a tiny hole and putting something like a paperclip bended back. But if I remember correctly paperclips rust too? So is there any kind of alternative wire? I was thinking of maybe using cable tie as the exhaust pipe doesn't directly touch this area but instead the hot gasses come come out. So not sure if cable ties will be able to hold hot gasses

Coat hanger wire will rust quickly. If you are going to use wire to tie it up copper wire won't rust. You can get stainless steel cable ties.

Coat hanger wire will rust quickly. If you are going to use wire to tie it up copper wire won't rust. You can get stainless steel cable ties.

Thank you. Is the solid wire inside the electrical solid cables copper? Could I potentially use that from a 2.5mm2 electrical cable and just twist it to tie it up?

Sponsored Links
Back