Arched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone out there has some experience of this one.

I'm building a brick BBQ that is 6 bricks wide and 3 bricks deep. I want to put an arched roof on. Quite happy to form wooden template and lay bricks on it from one side to the other.

Problem is I need a chimney in the middle. Can I just leave a hole in the middle or is this going to compromise the strength of the roof? I've seen a picture of an arched roof with chimney but only the one.

Anyone got some advice or comments?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't just leave the bricks out to form the chimney, I probably cut a round piece clay pipe and build it into the arch.

What you need to understand here is the size of the vaulted roof v's the hole you are going to need.

Plus, if the work this arch is doing along with supporting the flue is not adequately restrained, you could end up with a pile of bricks on the floor.

I have seen masonry BBQ's with an arch front arrangement but the actual flue is formed with a brick corbel staggering inwards to choke down to flue size.

Get it right from the ground up and it will work like a dream. Just make sure that you have a generic grill insert size factored into the masonry so that you can swap the grill rack when it inevitably rusts away.

Or do what I did and buy a Weber. :mrgreen:

Unless you do a lot of BBQing in the rain, I question the point of a roof over it...

Sponsored Links
Just make sure that you have a generic grill insert size factored into the masonry so that you can swap the grill rack when it inevitably rusts away.
Stainless steel is your friend here.

Or do what I did and buy a Weber. :mrgreen:
[OT]Reckon they are worth the premium for the name?[/OT]

OK - ta. Was going to get a gas BBQ sometime, wondering if other makes are 80% as good for 50% of the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back