Architrave issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

As per the title, my carpenter has fitted a door lining in the opening but due to the width of the opening one side of the lining is screwed to the wall which creates a corner in the room so on this side there is no room for architrave, I have the width of the door lining to play with.

I’m annoyed with myself as I didn’t think about it earlier, also wish the carpenter had said something as we could have moved it over 15mm to give me something

So what are my options, fit architrave at the top and right hand side, leave the left side with no architrave?

I’m thinking it’ll look terrible?

Appreciate your thoughts, sure I’m not the only person in this situation

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd move the door frame so that you have space to run a full width length of architrave.

I will have a look at it, the problem is the room is 950mm wide and the door pretty much fills the width

How about having the architrave cut down the middle with a table saw (against a fence) so that you can still have architrave to match?

Sponsored Links
How about having the architrave cut down the middle with a table saw (against a fence) so that you can still have architrave to match?
Thats what I have on one doorway but the architrave is cut down to to width of the lining less the set back to match the other side

Hi,

The door width was 686mm but I’ve just seen I can get a 610mm door, the door linings however do not come setup for that size so could anyone advise what size lining I need to make?

Many thanks

I’m not sure how wide to make the liner 615mm? Allowing a few mm around the door

Thanks

Good shout, this isn’t my game just diyer hence novice questions

So what are my options

This is a common issue, many houses have this. If the available space is very tight (like half an inch), you fit nothing, just put architrave around the top and other side.
If the available space is a bit bigger, like 1 inch, you can fit a piece of plain stripwood that complements the (usually square) edge of the rest of the architrave.
If the space is bigger than that, you usually rip down a piece of architrave to fit, so it looks like it is dissolving into the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back