Architrave neon

The simplest option is a neon as it only requires a resistor in series with it to be able to run directly from the 230 volt AC mains. And most neons come with the resistor built in.

An LED would need some form of convertor (or pseudo transformer ) to run from tne mains.

Sponsored Links
My first thought would have been an LED,,,
An LED will drop around 2 volts when forward biased. So you have to find something to do with the other 320 odd volts at around say 10mA. If you used a resistor it would have to disipate over 2W so would get very hot. You would also have to prevent reverse voltage being applied so that would need a suitably rated rectifier diode as well. I suppose you could come up with a reactive series circuit instead but that would take a bit of calculation.

Or you could just buy an LED panel indicator designed for 230V operation...

Probably be bulkier than a neon though.

If you want really small and neat, buy a bare neon lamp like this:

R811614-01.jpg

and a 270K resistor.

Drill a tiny hole in the faceplate to allow the end of the lamp to go through it, and secure it with a fillet of epoxy at the rear. Won't be very bright though, hence my Q about ambient light levels.

Well I trawled through MK's site (again). Still can't find this architrave grid unit......a link would be great.
Methinks I might just do the sensible thing - fit another light by the door just above the switch somewhere.
Or what would be even better would be a little flashing unit that flashes until the light is switched off.
Or I could go for a sliding door switch like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FM143.html

The entire project now on hold till I get this stupid little problem sorted ffs. Can you believe it??

Sponsored Links
The MK grid architrave plates are only made in chrome and a couple of other metal finishes - not white.

Modular switches similar to those shown previously are available in the UK under the Clipsal 'E Series' brand, these can be seen in the GET catalogue here:
http://www.getplc.com/pdf/GETCatalogueConnect2008.pdf
The items you want are on pages 80 and 81 in the online version (99 and 100 if it was printed).
Part codes 32WE for a 2 gang architrave plate, 301SMWE for a 1 way switch and 30NRD for a red neon indicator.

Edmundons apparently do stock these items (or at least can obtain them), but you can't order online from them, you will have to contact your local branch.

Or, if you google on 'clipsal' + the part numbers there are a few sites selling some of the parts - couldn't see anywhere with the architrave plate though.
This site seems to have most of the range:
http://www.cbus-shop.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=10

Thanks that's fast work.
I will check it out....
just not tonight.

The MK grid architrave plates are only made in chrome and a couple of other metal finishes - not white.
There is no white plastic plater. You can get a white flat plate metal one part number (K14402 WHI). From looking online it seems to be a PITA to obtain though (you would probablly have to get it ordered specially)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back