Architrave Switch to Full Sized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

As I decorate a room I'm swapped all my plastic (and yellowed) sockets and switches to nice chrome ones. I've bought every switch and socket for the house in bulk so they all match.

However, the kitchen has a small architrave switch near the end of the wall. I cannot get an architrave switch in the range I have purchased. I can get one online that is very close but with pnp its over £10 and several days downtime.

There is enough room to install a standard 1 gang 25mm back box. From the corner of the wall to the cupboard with there 12". I assume the reason a small switch was installed, was to give the kitchen fitters more play room. Is there any reason why I cannot swap this for a full sized switch? The wall is a breeze block supporting wall, this is why checking before I made the hole bigger close to the edge.

If not, I will wait and order a switch online, if I can swap it out, it can be done today and everyone is happy.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Pic

Attachments

• 20180217_130832.jpg
    20180217_130832.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 389
Sparks would not instal an architrave switch if an ordinary switch could have been fitted. I would go for the one you have found on line.

Edit - You must ensure that the metal switch plates are earthed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Please explain to Shirley83 why you stated
Sparks would not instal an architrave switch if an ordinary switch could have been fitted.

There is no reason for a "sparks" to avoid fitting an architrave switch in favour of an "ordinary" switch.

several pointless squabbling posts have been removed

Last edited by a moderator:
What's to the left of the switch?

Did there used to be a cupboard or something there?

There is enough room to install a standard 1 gang 25mm back box. From the corner of the wall to the cupboard with there 12". I assume the reason a small switch was installed, was to give the kitchen fitters more play room. Is there any reason why I cannot swap this for a full sized switch? The wall is a breeze block supporting wall, this is why checking before I made the hole bigger close to the edge.
Electrically speaking, there is obviously no reason why you can't do as you suggest - a switch is a switch.

However, as has been suggested (despite what apparently followed) it could well be that there was a practical ('mechanical') reason why an architrave switch was used. Are you sure that there are not, for example bits of door frame in the way - and, even if there isn't, and as you have implied, there might be problems chopping a hole near the edge of a breeze block wall. without ending up with a mess.

If I were in your position, I think I would probably try very carefully/cautiously to extend the hole around the architrave back box, but being prepared to have to repair the plaster and revert to Plan A (the architrave switch) if I ran into difficulties ... but that's just me. Initially carefully drilling, rather than 'hammer and chisel' might be the safest bet - but obviously be careful about any cables (and do it with the power off).

Kind Regards, John

I'd just pay a tenner and change it later personally, you could end up with a right mess trying to chop it out.

Isn't the switch part of an architrave switch the same as an ordinary switch?

Can't you fit an ordinary switch into/over the architrave back box and screw it to the wall?
Of course, with a metal switch the earth wire will be outside the back box. Does that matter?

Isn't the switch part of an architrave switch the same as an ordinary switch? Can't you fit an ordinary switch into/over the architrave back box and screw it to the wall?
The 'switch part' of an architrave switch tends to be smaller (narrower and not so deep).

I've just tried with a Crabtree white 1-gang switch. It will just go into a metal architrave back box (sides of switch moulding virtually touch the sides of box, and very little space in the box behind the switch moulding), but wiring could be difficult.

One would presumably have to screw the faceplate directly to the wall. However, provided that the (metal) faceplate was earthed with a wire, I'm not sure that would be a problem. One might to have to dig a hole in the plaster for the faceplate's earth terminal, and maybe other 'protrusions'.

Howver, it sounds as if it would not be an impossible approach.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back