Architrave when plaster proud of door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had a few rooms replastered (old plaster removed and dot/dabbed. Just looking at my door frames and the new plaster is prions of the door frame. In terms of fitting the new architrave how do I go about this? Is it a case of fitting a small strip of wood to bring it flush or am I better with a new door frame?

Thanks

Attachments

• iOS Image - 469171598.jpg
    iOS Image - 469171598.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,420
Sponsored Links
Essentially, yes. You may need to get the strips made up by the woodyard to get the right depth, but if you start fitting new door frames, then you'll regret it quite quickly. But as the strips will also hold the hinges, you'll need to glue them on as well as nail.

Sponsored Links
Yeh, looking at it I won't have to move the door hinges. I'm going to pin some stripwood to the frame, punch the nails in deep then plane down to the level of the frame. That's the plan anyway .

Thanks for your help!

I'd glue the strips, and use panel pins left proud till they set; take the pins out, and then plane it.

I have to deal with this all the time. The pro way (and much simpler) is to fit your strips of wood or MDF (equal in thickness to the plaster protrusion) but DON'T try to get them flush with the frame. Instead, set them back by about 5mm (called a 'reveal'). Then place the architrave on top, again set back with another reveal. That way the hinges are still fitted to the door casing in the normal way in their original positions, and your architrave overall looks more impressive.

If the plaster is proud by only a very small amount, another option is simply to fit the architrave (but with a larger reveal than usual) then glue in some thin dowel to cover the gap, as I did here.
000000355840-jpeg.jpg
cimg1859.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Cheers, yeh I may well do that, problem is the doors aren't level so the plaster is more proud in some places than others . I've got various strips of wood and the plane ready, will report back on how I get on!

If the plaster is proud, then you can't plane the strips to the wall level, you need to plane down to the highest point, fit the architrave, and then fill the architrave behind it. But you can still use Gerrys trick if you wan't to do it that way, and it might still work better.

I shan't tell you to fire the plasterer in case it was you.

Cheers, yeh I may well do that, problem is the doors aren't level so the plaster is more proud in some places than others . I've got various strips of wood and the plane ready, will report back on how I get on!
Don't bother trying to plane anything, it will be effort for no reward. Buy wood or MDF that is 'close enough' and simply fill any remaining gaps afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back