Architraves covering up Gaps in Window Fitting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder covered up a gap between the window frame and the wall with the architrave.

The French door window frame was moving when we closed the door so we took the architrave off to discover an open gap (c 1 cm) that allowed air to come straight into the house. This has now been seal with foam and frame has been properly fixed.

My builder is questioning why I removed the architrave and claims that the architrave's purpose is to cover up these types of gaps in window fittings. He is refusing responsibility to replace the architrave.

I don't agree. My understand is that the architrave is to frame the window and is not a structural sealant for a window frame that doesn't fit preciously into the hole in the wall. Architraves are not water resistant.

I would appreciate some advise on this, am I just being pedantic or am I being told rubbish by the builder?

Sponsored Links
We wonder why the frame was left loose in the first place, and by whom....?
The architrave is decorative, but naturally enough may help to seal any draught - not its real purpose though.
John :)

As above with:The joint between plaster and wood is constantly moving as the timber expands and contracts and cracks,the archtrave covers up an unsightly joint

As above with:The joint between plaster and wood is constantly moving as the timber expands and contracts and cracks,the archtrave covers up an unsightly joint

The above makes sense, though I forgot to mention that it was a uPVC frame.

Sponsored Links
Makes me wonder what type of builder he is if he won't stick back a bit of trim, blimey its a 2 minute job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back