Fitting Architrave to warped frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting new varnished architrave to a door frame. Having cut the architrave to size I was about to fix it when I discovered that the sides of the door frame are not straight. One bows in about 2mm in the middle while the other bows out by the same amount.

If I fix the architrave as it is then I am worried the true edge will highlight the warping on the door frame. What would you recommend to fix this problem or minimise the impact of it.

The only ideas I have come up with so far are to use a router to reprofile the edge of the architrave which would mean the 2 sides of each architrave would no longer be parallel or to attach it and hope that it doesn't attract the eye as much as expected.

Sponsored Links
Given that the bow is only 2mm & in the centre you should be able bend it to match the profile of the door lining; I’ve done this successfully with 45 x 15mm architrave & I’m sure it would work on an even wider profile up to a point. Assuming you’re fixing with nails, start fixing at the top mitre & flex the architrave to match the lining, nailing it as you go.

Richard C's method works well.

I had to do that on 90% of the frames in my house, straight wood hadn't been invented in the 1930's, evidently.

pin the legs[each side] top and bottom with 2 nails[4 a side] nail the head into sides
centraly knock in a nail till its 5mm proud into the frame
pull on the nail till clear position with other hand and pust onto the nail then tap half way home
do the same the other side checking all the joins line up and in the correct position before firmly securing

Sponsored Links
Super!

Thank you all for your help. I was gluing the architrave so that I didn't need to hide nails in the varnished finish. But attaching some blocks of wood to the wall at the relevant places had the same effect as nails and held it in place until the glue set and it now looks fabulous, just a spot of touching up screw holes to go.

The “varnish thing” gave me a feeling you might be gluing in place but I’m pleased it’s worked for you. In the long term, however, I would not rely on adhesive alone as, for many reasons, there is a big risk it will “pop off” at sometime in the future. It may be beneficial to stick at least one nail in the centre of the curve now to hold it all in place. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back