Arcing in main cutout fuse..DNO says ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was investigating a customers heating system...the 3A FCU, 16 MCB & the RCD were blowing/tripping all at the same time. (that I may have resolved only time will tell).
Anyway, whilst at the consumer unit I could hear the 60A fuse connections in the ceramic block arcing when I leaned on the compartment framework (the incoming service cables were tight through the woodwork and therefore moved a little).

The customer and I arranged for the DNO to attend and several hours later they rocked up and had a look. They've put new seals and state that there's no issue.
Really?
Surely that can't be right...
I should add that outside there's an ancient BICC wall box where the service splits between several houses and the homeowner has had problems in the past when the younger DNO employees have no experience and won't touch it.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, whilst at the consumer unit I could hear the 60A fuse connections in the ceramic block arcing when I leaned on the compartment framework (the incoming service cables were tight through the woodwork and therefore moved a little).

A loose connection and no it is not alright. Get them back to try again.

Next time you boil the kettle, wear a thin glove and see if either side of that unit is warm to the touch.

Do you think the arcing may be in the outside unit?

It's in the fuse or connections....I just wondered if there's some particular ancient type of fuse that is prone to arc noise.

Sponsored Links
Would take 15 minutes to replace that, it’s concentric fed (and rough at that). Lazy sods!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back