Are all cements the same?

I

ImayKnow

NO, NO, NO!!!

As a diyer I use to get the cheapest cement that B&Q stock, but recently I bought the slightly more expensive Mastercrete. Wow, how much more pliable that cement is in mortar mixes is unbelievable .

It was only about 75p a bag more expensive but well worth it for the improved workability it offers.

The views of the professionals would be much appreciated, but I would recommend it to other diyers, as it seems not all cements are the same.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what sand you use. Adding plaz or a squirt of washing liquid makes it easier to use.

It depends on what sand you use. Adding plaz or a squirt of washing liquid makes it easier to use.

Thanks Stuart.

I tend to use b&q building sand. I have used washing up liquid but have been told that shouldn't be done.

[quote="stuart45";p="2834007" Adding .... a squirt of washing liquid [/quote]

Naughty!

Sponsored Links
Mastercrete will have a plasticiser in it to improve workability. These can be added separately to ordinary Portland cement mixes to give the same result.

Mastercrete will have a plasticiser in it to improve workability. These can be added separately to ordinary Portland cement mixes to give the same result.

Thanks Tony.

I think for the diyer, who only uses cement occasionally then Mastercrete is the way to go as you only need the one product, which will work cheaper than buying separate plasticiser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back