Are all flush valves crap???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Variflush valve to replace the cheapo one that came with our toilet (it leaked around the washer that held it to the cistern)....here's the new one I bought:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j..._dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=variflush&x=0&y=0

This one doesn't leak from the same place, BUT instead the internal washer that lifts up/down when you flush doesn't go back properly so there's a constant flow of water from the cistern into the pan!!!!

It can stop the flow by physically pushing the blue overflow downwards so the washer makes a water tight seal but obviously this is no good.

I can't believe these valves are so poorly made, is this is a common problem or am I just having really bad luck?

Sponsored Links
Probably a little bad luck :( I have fitted these, and variants of these, before with no problems. If you can get hold of some silicone spray, take the valve out and spray it up. That has worked for me in the past :)

i put a drop valve in (from b&q) was 13 quid and i learned that if you tighten the plastic backnut to the flush button inside the cistern too tight then when you push the button to flush it doesn't come out again!

also the valve i fitted had an overflow lever/box fitted on the side and not a ball like the screwfix one! maybe u just bought a dodgy valve?

Sponsored Links
Although I normally stick to boiler repairs, I often get shown WC cisterns with a leaking flush washer. Often within a short time of being fitted.

I am so glad that I dont normally get involved with these as they seem to be so unreliable.

A few years ago I felt sorry for this old couple and agreed to assemble and fit their new cistern.

It took longer than expected and the wife was so disapointed with the nice new low volume flush that they spent about an hour arguing with each other in Yiddish before the husband reluctantly paid me, as if it was my fault that the new regulations limit the flush volume! The wife did not want to pay me at all!

I try not to feel sorry for anyone any more except when they have been ripped off. Even so it still annoys me when they dont want to pay me much to do it properly " because they have already spent £xxx with their cowboy".

Tony

well you've earned the right to do boilers and stuff being corgi reg!

but i agree with the doughnut washer probs! i changed 3 siphons this year (for myself a mate and a family member). one was ok as i used the same doughnut washer as it wasnt split or torn. on my toilet i had probs as i tore the doughnut taking the old siphon out! and learned about using plumbers mate!! i then got it leak free. (although i was advised to get a like for like replacement doughnut from a plumbers merchant so it was my own fault for wasting my time fiddling about)!!

and today i did my mates drop valve and used the same doughnut again as the one with it was the wrong size. luckily i didn't tear it and it was fine (but i didn't tigthen the vale/siphon nut up tight enough with water pumps at first so got a leak when i re-assembled the cistern/pan)!!

it is fine now though !!:)

I think I've figured out the exact flaw with the variflush valve.

The installation requires that you cut off some of the overflow tube to set the correct overflow level, this in itself is fine. HOWEVER, by cutting off some of the tube you're also reducing the weight of the tube which means there isn't enough weight for it to push itself down far enough and make the washer seal correctly.

If I place my mobile phone on top of the blue overflow tube, the weight of the phone is enough to make the washer seal.

I think I've figured out the exact flaw with the variflush valve.

The installation requires that you cut off some of the overflow tube to set the correct overflow level, this in itself is fine. HOWEVER, by cutting off some of the tube you're also reducing the weight of the tube which means there isn't enough weight for it to push itself down far enough and make the washer seal correctly.

If I place my mobile phone on top of the blue overflow tube, the weight of the phone is enough to make the washer seal.
Being a so called plumber for 30 years you got me with this one , Does it matter if its pay as you go or contract !

sorry, mobile phone was what I had in my hand at the time!

I've now wrapped a bit of lead over the top of the overflow tube to add a bit more weight and it works fine

i found with the drop valve that the oveflow level is well under the inlet leel and they are generally a lot smaller than the normal siphon type devices. i also found that they have a more powerful flush and only use a tiny amountof the cistern water (compared to the siphon type)!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back