torbeck variflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have just replaced a single flush top push button Roca valve in a Roca Laura cistern (6 litre flush) with a new Torbeck variflush as the old valve was leaking past the washer (overflowing back into pan)
The new Torbeck also leaked past the washer and after numerous checks I decided to call Opella for advice. I caried out the checks they advised but it still leaked. I then took the valve back and decided to swap it for another one exactly the same...guess what it still leaked past the washer.
I've now isolated the supply at the service valve until I can sort this out.

anybody any idead as this is driving me insane. :mad:

Sponsored Links
have you tried it with the lid off ?
as the cable maybe pulling and not releasing back fully

Thanks for that but yes I have tried it with the lid off. In fact I have tried it with the cable not attached to the button (sits where it want to) not the correct way I know, and with the cable attached to the button lid off and on. (there are no kinks in the cable, it has a nice gentle curve to the button.

if you hold the valve half way down and turn it, it will come apart and have a look at the seating and the rubber to see if its ok and not damaged

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the advice but I have now taken the Torbeck out (what a load of rubbish) and put in an original valve from Roca and everything works fine. At least the Roca valve (which is probably a Fluidmaster anyway) has some weight in it. the Torbeck is so flimsy.

MESSAGE TO ALL YOU DIY PLUMBERS OUT THERE: DO NOT BUY A TORBECK VARIFLUSH PUSH BUTTON VALVE, THE SEALING WASHER IS MADE FROM PAPER I THINK!!! WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

I also have similar problems with the Torbeck Variflush as fitted to Heritage Bathrooms cisterns. The rubber sealing washer lasts about 6 months and then starts to leak - it seems to get distorted, and it appears to be impossible to obtain spares. The last time Heritage sent a complete replacement unit.......what a waste for a 5p washer!

Ok thanks for the advice but I have now taken the Torbeck out (what a load of rubbish) and put in an original valve from Roca and everything works fine. At least the Roca valve (which is probably a Fluidmaster anyway) has some weight in it. the Torbeck is so flimsy.

MESSAGE TO ALL YOU DIY PLUMBERS OUT THERE: DO NOT BUY A TORBECK VARIFLUSH PUSH BUTTON VALVE, THE SEALING WASHER IS MADE FROM PAPER I THINK!!! WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

i take it you have never read the write up on roca valves then.
they are just as bad.

mmmmm

so Torbeck Variflush is not good; Roca is no good......any idea on a good one to fit in place that either does not leak, or replacement parts can be obtained?

Good news. Phoned the suppliers Opella Ltd, said I wished to buy some spare drop valve washers...was going to buy 20 on the grounds that they last about 6 months and can only cost a few pence. They sent them free....without out admitting there was a problem of course.

So full marks to Opella ..phone number is 01432 357331

I ended up buying a 2nd cistern when the plumbers would not help 2 months after installation. I am now running out of spares following leaks, breakages and floods. Not impressed

I find it hard to believe these rotten Variflush valves are still on the shelves, the design is fundementaly flawed as the blue overflow tube has no weight to it, so it can't put enough pressure on the already dodgy sealing washer. The result is a constant stream down the back of the pan.

I've had some limited success with adding a strip of lead :oops: to the tube.

Hundreds of gallons of water are wasted every day by these (an other) drop valves that are supposed to save water (6 Litre cisterns).

Just give me five minutes with the designer of these and I'll ring his bl.......[CENSORED].

Fluidmaster's drop valve is a dream. :)

A quick fix for these leaking valves is to remove the valve, thoroughly dry the rubber washer and smear some grease onto it, which usually has hardened and lost its flexibility. The grease helps to maintain a better seal.

Alternatively, if you haven't got any grease then olive or sunflower oil will do.

Rub the grease or oil into the washer and let it soak in for about half an hour before re-assembling.

The fix should last a few months and you can always repeat the process.

However, all in all, the design of these valves is crap!

I've just had this on mine (Heritage bathrooms corner toilet - 2 years old)
The original washer has a flat profile and as other posters have mentioned it was quite hard and didn't feel like it really stood a chance of sealing. I tried rejuvenating it with various things but in the end I gave up and ordered an overpriced replacement washer. The new washer has a ridged concave profile that fits over the outlet at the bottom of the cistern. The replacement was also very much softer.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=torbeck+variflush+washer&tbm=isch
After a day of fitting the replacement, it seems to have bedded-in and only a tiny bit of water is seeping past, so it's as good as fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back