are brackets for concrete fence posts available?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at fixing a side gate at 90 degrees to a 6 foot fence and intend using one of the concrete "H" section posts to mount the hinges. I don't want to drill the posts as I think it will just weaken them and break up in time.

Are there any brackets on the market that can be clamped on my side of the H, so that I can fix a piece of timber for the hinges?

Sponsored Links
what is on the other side of the gateway?

most slotted posts have a hole through them so is it possible to use them to attach a 4x2 onto the post and fix your hinges or latch onto the edge of it?

like this with the hinge or latch fixed to the short edge of the timber:

212000_211133_92262_31630994_thumb.jpg

Another option is fix 2 on like that (one either side of the post) and then a 8 x 2 across.

like this:

212000_211133_92261_84330274_thumb.jpg

Depending on it being the end of the run or not may mean resizing one panel or two or none of you are lucky but its not difficult with either lap fencing or feather edge.

Lap is the more difficult but just remember to move the edge beading's in to their new positions and nail from both sides making sure all the laps are held firm then cut the ends sticking out off carefully so you do not split them.

If you are concerned about the cut looking poor cut the other end if it is going into a slotted post as it will hide any errors.

Then refix the panels onto the face of the timber with fencing brackets.

Oh and do not put the timber all the way to the ground as it will rot at the bottom real fast if you do.

And while it sounds odd concrete posts will bend a bit under the weight of a gate so account for that when you hang it.

For a heavy gate i would fit a metal post in concrete down the side of the concrete post.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back