Are British Gas trying to pull a fast one ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had British Gas out to quote for a new boiler (Gloworm18hxi). As well as quoting a ridiculous price for the boiler and fitting he wants to charge me £145 for 28mm gas pipes.

Got another quote from a Corgi registered installer, who said I didn't need to change the pipes as the current ones are fine.

So is it a case of British Gas just trying to 'standardise' all installations on 28mm pipe ? or do I really need it ?

Sponsored Links
Have nothing to do with BG in case you wonder from the tone of reply, did you see the CORGI card and also check the details at the back of the card?
Not the first job I have been toi where the installer did not upgrade the gas line

It's a well established local firm (50 years). they have CORGI,OFTEC,APHC logo's on their quotes.

The boiler is not any higher capacity than the current one, so why would I need a bigger pipe ?

I am switching to a condensing boiler, but do they really need so much more gas ?

Also, it's not just the installation fee, it's the ball-ache of having bedroom / landing floors taken up for new pipes.

Sponsored Links
bluemooner said:
So is it a case of British Gas just trying to 'standardise' all installations on 28mm pipe ? or do I really need it ?

It's nothing to do with British gas, there is a size of pipe required dependant on the max. heat input of the appliance, the length of pipe and the number of bends / elbows / tees / other draw offs. One of them is right and one wrong....you give us all the figures and we will all work it out.

Just because the old pipe "worked", doesn't mean it was right. All the bends count as extra pipe length, and it depends on fires cooker etc. If more than several metres I'd be using 28mm.

Yes I understand. It's just a pain to have to lift all upstairs floors to run gas pipes.

If only I could persuade the wife that a boiler in the lounge would look perfectly normal ..........

or 28 mm might be needed to keep any other appliances happy but 28 isnt that much more cash is it ?

It adds another £145 to the project.

But it's not the money, it's the pain of having to take up the floors in 2 rooms and take down garage ceiling to get pipes in.

The pipe sizing for any gas installation is dependant on the distance away the meter is to the appliance/s, taking into consideration any restrictions for the gas on its way, t's,elbows,etc. so unless you give measurements we can not give you any info. on whether 28" or 22" will suffice. Another thing to consider is the gas pressure at peak times.

how much gas do you need to burn your appliance/s at full rate without affecting your other appliance/s. Ask them to show you their calculations remember the information you need will be on the data badge of the applliance regarding consumption

Skillo I think they may have sorted it out by now seeing as this post is 3 years old

Jayus even PVM has posted a comment on this one its soooo old

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back