Are building regs required for Loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a quote for my loft converted (6 grand) but was told this is not to regs. Was told building to regs would double the cost and some.

Can someone advise if this is legal? If so what are the implications of not building to regs.

Cheers

Bob

Sponsored Links
Alright Bob

If you don't do it to Building Regs it's dangerous to the residents + will defo cause you problems if/when you sell the place (would you buy a house if any major 'improvements' have been done without meeting the Local Authority standards?). Why risk the lives of your family with a cowboy conversion? If your gonna get it done, do it properly.

You will need to do the works to Building Regs, could do with a bit more information + we'll give more advice. Eg:

What is the loft used for at present?
What is the roof structure?
Will a new floor be required?
Means of access/escape?
Does it include a dormer construction? If so you may require Planning Approval also.
You may have to use a Strucutral Engineer (if calcs req'd)
You may need a Party Wall agreement (if your in a semi etc)
Any WC/shower etc going up there?

I love the fact you've been given a price for works without Building Regs + a price for works to Building Regs. It shows me the builder MAY be a bit of a cowboy. At the end of the day a responsible professional should only do work to the required standards.

Good luck ;)

the only corners they can cut and keep it safe is to use substandard materials like chipboard on the dormer and sub standard felt single glazing and no insulation :cry: :cry:

I bet this builder is covered in 2 inch round bruises where he's been touched with a barge pole.
Avoid like the plauge, or be really evil and report him to the LA building control, trading standard etc. javascript:emoticon(':evil:')

Sponsored Links
But there are some people who merely just want the work done, regardless whether or not it's approved under the Building Reg's. But... those kind of people do run the risk. At least you were told it wouldn't be done to Reg's as opposed to them just getting on with it and leaving you with an un-authorised and illegal loft conversion.

Bob, this is good money after bad. It will put off a lot of buyers and effectively devalue your house by 10k - plus of course the 6k spent. Or you'll end up spending the 15k to do it properly but that will be on top of the 6k allready spent.

Plus there's the potential fire hazard- how would you feel if your family or friends got caught in a fire?

My advice - don't even consider it.

It is possible that he's only been quoted for the basic structural. Minus leccy, inso, alarms, fire doors etc etc So he could just be making the first step.
Lacking the other stuff I mentioned could be classed as 'not done to regs' for a full complete loft conversion, but doesn't mean that the work they quoted for won't be up to scratch if it's just beams/floor/stairs.

I agree with all of the above, though i have to say the builder will be doing exactly what thousands of diyers are currently doing.

A decent tradesman would not entertain such a project.

It is possible that he's only been quoted for the basic structural. Minus leccy, inso, alarms, fire doors etc etc So he could just be making the first step.
Lacking the other stuff I mentioned could be classed as 'not done to regs' for a full complete loft conversion, but doesn't mean that the work they quoted for won't be up to scratch if it's just beams/floor/stairs.

I got the distinct impression we were talking about a partial conversion in the sense of a livable area. Could be wrong though.

Thanks for the replies... That's kind of put a lid on it, its best I keep saving!

Sorry, I didn't expain very clearly. The extra room would ideally be used as a bedroom, but would not do this if not to regs. To regs I'd be losing a bedroom to gain access.

The first quote I was given was to regs (I think), but it involved using my small bedroom for access, which meant I was a bedroom down... so the conversation almost stopped there.

I was then offered to do this not to regs, but advised I could not use this as a bedroom, the access would be built above my stairs. This did not give the clearance (2 meters - might be wrong here) at the bottom for the entrance and a proper fire door etc needed for a bedroom.

Basically, if I was to go with the second option (ie not to regs) which I was very tempted to do, there were obviously other areas that could save money, not working to regs, bringing the price down I guess!

Thanks very much for your replies... You've just stopped me making a big mistake!

Bob

Can a price be put to somebody loosing their life (e.g. in a fire)? No... so applying for Building Reg's is a no brainer :)

The extra room would ideally be used as a bedroom, but would not do this if not to regs. To regs I'd be losing a bedroom to gain access.

The first quote I was given was to regs (I think), but it involved using my small bedroom for access, which meant I was a bedroom down... so the conversation almost stopped there.

I was then offered to do this not to regs, but advised I could not use this as a bedroom

Having had some quotes for loft conversions myself recently, I think I know what the original poster means. I suspect he means the difference between a proper pucker "loft conversion" and having the loft partially converted as storage/office space.

Sounds as though the builder is trying to say that if you want the loft converted properly, you'll need to have a proper staircase fire escape route, which would involve losing a bedroom which is where the stairs would be. This would comply with building regulations as a bedroom.

If you go for a "loft storage/office" type arrangement, they'll probably sort out any roof supports so that it's a useable space, strengthen the joists, board the whole lot off, put in a ladder, maybe even put in some plasterboard and a velux, and it'll be a "room", but it wouldn't comply with building regulations as a bedroom and couldn't be advertised for sale in the future as such.

I know nowt, so I could be wrong, but I have spoken to some builders recently who have offered me similar arrangements. Both options make the loft a useable space but only the expensive one can safely be used as a bedroom.

For the record we're in a similar position, to enable us to do a loft conversion in the future, we'd have to completely reverse our current ground floor to first floor staircase position so that it allows for a fire escape route which exits into the hall in front of the front door.

Without reversing the staircase, we can't do a proper loft conversion, we'd have to go for the partially converted storage/office space option until the stair case (and thus the entire first floor layout) is changed.

Bob, have you considered a spacesaver staircase?

For the record we're in a similar position, to enable us to do a loft conversion in the future, we'd have to completely reverse our current ground floor to first floor staircase position so that it allows for a fire escape route which exits into the hall in front of the front door.

Without reversing the staircase, we can't do a proper loft conversion, we'd have to go for the partially converted storage/office space option until the stair case (and thus the entire first floor layout) is changed.
An office space in the loft still has to have BR approval. The original post states 6 grand for a partial conversion. That sounds very cheap even for a partial and even partial conversion would probably involve BR approval for structural work for flooring. If the partial conversion is to just board out the existing ceiling joists then that would be a waste of money as it would still need to be done properly at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back