Are car parts original?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way to tell if a car part is the original part for that particular car? Is there a way of checking the serial number of the part and matching it to the VIN or chassis numbers?

Sponsored Links
You mean when it has already been fitted, I think?

Well, a lot of parts have dates stamped on. But they are hard to find, w/o dismantling...I have dates on the alloys, but you have to take the rubber off before you can see it!

My car was built to order in June 2002, and most parts have XX/06/02 stamped on them, the oldest bit on the car dates to 01/04/02. Bit worrying that!!

Some cars are treated with smart water - you can check if all the panels have a coating of that. If they are clean, or only lightly covered, they have been replaced.

What are you getting at?

as breezer says

i think he or she is saying how can you tell if spare parts
are manufacturers approved parts or generic [fake] parts

big all

Sponsored Links
I would say no, there is no way you could check if a part was originally from a certain car (if that is what you mean).With the obvious exception of engines etc which have a serial number.

This doesn't mean parts are not identifiable by others. Cars these days are full of bar codes,casting numbers, stamped numbers on panels,glass,lights, wiring looms,wheels,tyres(and much more).

Someone, somewhere, will know what all these numbers mean.

This is how the police find out about stolen and rung cars etc, by the multitude of numbers.

david and julie said:
This is how the police find out about stolen and rung cars etc, by the multitude of numbers.

how do YOU know that? ;)

Breezer...used to own a breakers yard. You got to know what to keep and what to weigh in!

Thanks everyone. The matter has been resolved. I was trying to say that I left my car in for repairs and when I got it back I got the feeling that a part on my car was swapped with the same part on a similar car. In other words I had a good part on my car and the other car had a faulty part but I have now got it sorted. Thanks again.

david and julie said:
SS...you can tell who lives in M/cr.

Yup!

Breezer - Most plastic car bits have a "dial" date stamp indicating mfr date. This can help when trying to suss a cars history. You don't have to be in the know to check a few dates, if it is a newish car and some dates don't add up you begin to smell a rodent, especially when the date on that part is after the build date....

securespark said:
........XX/06/02 stamped on them, the oldest bit on the car dates to 01/04/02. Bit worrying that!!

Some cars are treated with smart water

What are you getting at?

'Specially if 1902 ;)

Smart water --- Mancastor --- Must be Bliss ;)

Car came back with two engines fitted ... just wondering if originals ;)

P

What is this "smart water"? Some kind of UV reactive paint that fades at a specified rate so if something glows more than everything else you know it's newer?!

I've never heard of smart water! Intrigued.

It is a liquid that is sprayed onto all your car body parts and it has microscopic particles containing a code which is linked to your car. Thus, if it is stolen and broken up, parts can be traced by the authorities.

See here: http://www.smartwater.com/products/cars.html

It can also be used in premises that, when burgled, release SW via a sprinkler system.

The burglar and gear get covered and it is impossible to remove all traces, thus the guy can be irrefutably linked with the crime. In this case, I think the SW hasd a DNA code, rather than a "serial number".

Google "Smart Water" for more links.

Oh, it's one of those microdot systems. I saw a policeman checking for them on a TV programme. He shone a UV lamp all over this motorbike, the glue the dots are embedded in fluoresces. So then they can inspect it under a microscope and read the number off the dots, check it against a database. Very cool.

Isn't micro-dot better ?
At least Police can check for codes immediately using microscope.

I believe with smart water the ownership analysis has to be carried out by the supply company ? Adds further layers / time to the process .. could result in non pursuance by Police given non availability of instant answer ?

P

Sponsored Links
Back