1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Are full width domers PD

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by LazyDozer, 12 Apr 2019 at 10:57 PM.

1. LazyDozer

LazyDozer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dear All, following the setback of my other PD application, I was thinking of doing this, to convert upstairs to either two large bedrooms (one with ensuite) from the current two and a bathroom or with three beds, a bathroom and a modest ensuite, Bed 2 becoming new master with ensuite and Bed 1 being split into two.

Now there is already a dormer in the original 1967 build where the bathroom lives. I want to replicate this both sides and full width, 200mm should be there below. Height about 2.4m and flat roof about 1.3m long. The length about 8m. The existing one is about 2m long on one side and will have to be subtracted, also a chimney removed.

Here is my mock up, with red showing new additions. (chimney is missing on one of the drawings, but will be removed.

Many thanks once again.

Attached Files:

2. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Both those would be p.d., as long as the total volume increase was < 50m³. Also, any side-facing windows would need to be glazed in frosted glass, and have top openers at least 1.7m above the floor.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. LazyDozer

LazyDozer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks once again. Much appreciated!!

4. RichA

RichA

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Presume these would be bedrooms. NB It may look a little weird having them glazed in frosted glass to meet PD.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. LazyDozer

LazyDozer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was thinking of adding triangular windows to the front and back of the dormers, that is the principal elevation and not the neighbours side.
    I hope this is allowed.

6. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Windows in those positions would still be permitted development.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. LazyDozer

LazyDozer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks once again Tony1851

8. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Will the egress (fire escape , bldg regs Part B ) windows requirements be a problem with your proposed windows to bedrooms :?:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. LazyDozer

LazyDozer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't know, It will still get a share (about half) of the 2.3m long front windows, as I plan to split the bigger bedroom into two halves for 2 kids. The back bedroom will become the new master with possibly an ensuite

Attached Files:

10. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you look on Planning Portal or LABC website under Building Regulations Approved Document B you will find the section on egress windows . 0.33m2 minimum area, minimum 450mm width and height which in effect means 750 x 450 mm clear opening , cill height between 600 and 1100mm above floor level etc.