Loft Conversion: Part PD part not, how to approach planning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been asked by a friend for some advice on some extension work he is looking to do on his house (he has a 3 bedroom mid terrace that he would like to extend with a loft conversion). In an ideal world what he wants to do is to put a dormer window on both sides of the house: a full width box dormer to the rear and a smaller gable style dormer to the front/street facing side.

I’ve already advised him that if we were looking at them separately the rear dormer would fit within the criteria for permitted development and so he wouldn’t require a full planning application, whereas regardless of its size/style the front dormer would definitely require a planning application to be submitted.

It was only after I’d spoken to him that I started to think about it all a little more and it seemed like it could be a complicated situation. They would likely be built at the same time but technically the planning criteria for them is different, so I suppose the question I have is if the proposed works to the rear of the house fall within PD would you need to actually include them/make any reference to them on a planning application for the works to the front of the house?

On the one hand I’m thinking yes just so that you can have clarity with the council/neighbours from the off and avoid any awkward conversations and the like at a later date, but on the other hand I think no because if you technically don’t require formal permission for the rear dormer then do you really need to inform them about it?

Although there are several historical precedents for front facing dormers on the street (next door neighbour being one of them) I know that this isn’t any kind of guarantee that the council would approve a similar extension for him, and if his application was to also show a full width dormer being constructed to the rear my gut feeling is that it would be even less likely to get past the planners.

The other thing I was thinking about is if the rear dormer is included on any submission to the planners and the application is subsequently refused, would he technically still be able to build the rear dormer under PD anyway? Or would the fact that it was included on a rejected planning application jeopardise that at all?

Sponsored Links
You just apply for planning permission to put the front dormer on. There is absolutely no need - and no advantage - to include the rear dormer on the plans.

Where you may come unstuck concerns the timing. If you put in an application for a front dormer (only) and in the meantime built your rear dormer regardless, the planning officer could get uppity and refuse your front dormer on principle.

Best thing is to send the application in for the front dormer only, and wait until that was (hopefully) approved - then build the rear.

If you sent in plans with both dormers, and they were refused, you can still build the rear dormer as your p.d. rights remain unaffected.

Hi there

I had a similar situation with my build. Ive done a double storey rear ext, partial side loft conversion (dormer bungalow turning a pitched roof into a gable) and new front dormer. I worked out that everything but the front dormer was PD. When I approached LA re what to do, they said as the front dormer needed PP, then the whole lot needed to go on the application.

Im guessing that it may vary from LA to LA as, with most things in life, they probably make it up as they go along.

Only your LA can advise what they want as they are the ones who will grant it or not.

If the PD work will still be PD after the PP work is done then you could wait and hope they don't attach silly conditions revoking PD to the approval which would then mean you need to apply for PP again anyway.

If the PD work will no longer be PD after the PP work is done, then you have 2 options

1. Do the PD work before applying for PP and make the PP take account of the property as is with the PD work done.

2. Include the PD work in the PP application.

Good luck and may the force be with you

Sponsored Links
If the PD work will still be PD after the PP work is done then you could wait and hope they don't attach silly conditions revoking PD to the approval which would then mean you need to apply for PP again anyway.

Can an LPA really withdraw somone's p.d. rights unilaterally?
If it was a condition, I'm sure that could easily be appealed.

Can an LPA really withdraw somone's p.d. rights unilaterally?
If it was a condition, I'm sure that could easily be appealed.

OP is in Yorkshire, Leeds seem to do what they like anyway, I did a quick search and found one in Bradford

http://plandocs.leeds.gov.uk/WAM/do...LUME3&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

the conditions are mainly about the extension as far as I can make out, but wouldn't be surprised if a dormer had conditions relating to the rest of the roof attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back