are lead pipes illegal?

Sponsored Links
Also whenever work is done on a gas pipe we have been told that any lead has to be replaced.

I dont know who told you that.

Certainly the gas transporters only replace a lead connection to a meter when they are doing other work at the property.

If you want it changed then you have to engineer a gas leak from it!

Tony

Who mentioned connection to the meter, seeing as this is a transco job that you state i have done then i have to correct you. How can you leave lead on a gas pipe if that pipe needs upgrading to 22m

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone cheers for your posts there much appreciated, didn't realize one simple question could cause so much bitching. To that end i decided to do some research based on everyones comments. here are some of the points i found out.Only some of them mind!!!

1) It is not illegal to have or repair lead pipe.
2) It is encouraged if you have lead pipe at all on your property to replace it to avoid any risk of lead poisoning.
3) If you do want to replace it grants are available but do vary from region to region.
4) If you do get the lead pipe repaired there is a certain solder to use (sorry don't know which one.
5) Also depending on your postcode your water supplier may replace your whole pipe do to its sheer length and accessibility.
6) Water supplier s will come out and test your water to ensure you are not getting lead poisoning - FOR FREE!!
7) Dont bother try calling a plumber on Christmas eve as they wont answer there phone.

AND LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST CHECK THAT YOUR INSURANCE ACTUALLY COVERS YOU FOR THE DAMAGE TO THE PIPE AND NOT JUST THE DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE LEAKING WATER!!!!AS I DID NOT!!!LOL!!

However the pipe got repaired on boxing day for £170 which i thought was more than fair considering how much he had to dig and the ****e weather we were having.

Many thanks guys

John

If you repair a lead water pipe with solder, you're in breach of Water Regulations. Even if the solder's Lead Free.

The reason, is that you're exposng fresh lead to the water when you do it.
The reason we don't all get poisoned by lead pipes is that a scale forms on the surface, which restricts the "plumbosolvency", normally to very low, "safe" levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back