Are my roof tiles defective?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Wondering if you have ever seen anything like this before? And if can give an indication of what might be happening to my roof tiles / whether they need to be replaced?

They look like they are curling up in various places and discolouring - when you get up close it seems that the surface of the tile is actually coming off. The change in colour is worst on the two slopes that get the most sunlight.

They were installed about 9 years ago by a Wandsworth Council contractor (Gillmartins), on behalf of the long leaseholders then in the property. We are in discussions with the Council to see whether they took out a guarantee when they procured the works as I (and particularly our downstairs neighbour who paid for 50% of the works at the time) would have hoped the materials would last a lot longer.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards,
Louise

Sponsored Links
They look like 600mm x 300mm fibre cement slates, maybe eternits. Colour looks bad andseem to be curling. Par for the course really with etetnits. We wont sell eternits anymore because of the colour issues

Whoever advised you to go for that tile must have had a few spare or had no experience in roofing they are rubbish, that said and asthetics aside you will probably not have anything to worry about for another 20yrs.

Sponsored Links
Same here, cembrit jutlands a much better quality slate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back