Are Nissan Micras supposed to have brake shims?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a 54 plate micra with brakes that squeal.
I have tried the usual methods and got some respite from copper grease, but the squeal is back.
There were no shims fitted. can anyone tell me if they're supposed to have them, or if i can fit them as extra?

On library PC so can't hang about for reples but will check when I can

thanks

Sponsored Links
No shims on the pad back faces on these, just the stainless steel anti rattle sliders where the pad top and bottom lugs locate.
Take these sliders off, and clean up the casting beneath them - I use a fine file / wire brush etc but don't rip the boots on the caliper pins!
Coppaslip on both sides of the sliders before you put the pads back, and then coppaslip on both pad backs. Thats all you can do really - if the squeal continues, change the discs as they may be glazed. The K12 doesn't have brake squeal as an inherent problem.
John :)

If it persists you could try chamfering the edges of the pads to 45 degrees, just to take the sharp edge off.

A softer pad, different manufacturer may also help. A little harder on the brakes will allow them to bed-in that bit quicker !!

No shims on the pad back faces on these, just the stainless steel anti rattle sliders where the pad top and bottom lugs locate.

Oh Bugger! didn't see anything like that! the pads were sitting directly into the calipers. I'd notice something like that.
Think i should consult a haynes manual and get to a dealer or scrappy.

saying that the car didn't squeak at all yesterday, then back to waking the neighbours this morning at 6 lol!

Thanks Mursal,
Done that the 1st. time round.. plus as Burnerman mentioned. worked great for ages (4/5 months) then came back.

Sponsored Links
For sure, the absence of these shims wouldn't introduce any squealing.....indeed, what you would hear is a 'click' as the pads shifted in the caliper.
If the squeal persists, then its either:
1) A build up of brake dust
2) The brake pads are contacting the disc when they shouldn't be (needing a clean, sticky caliper piston, sticky caliper slider pins)
3) Glazing of the brake disc itself. (Usually the disc has a bluish tinge if the pads have been sticking on at some time).
P.S I think its (2) to blame.
J

Back