Are pitched roof extensions harder to approve?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another step close to getting my bungalow project....

Been reading about planning etc....

Want to do a single storey extension ideally a pitched roof that goes out by at least 6m, maybe 8m.... it shouldn't be affected by the 45 degrees from window rule, as neighbours are bungalows too, and they currently look at either their own garage, or the side wall of mine (obscured by tree in below photo). But, wondering, will council still say no, needs to be lower level? At 8m, it might be rather imposing. Also, will want it about 1m wider than current house, to fit 2 rooms next to each other.

Also, as going wider, is a flat roof part the only solution for that part anyway?

upload_2017-5-24_14-40-0.png

My rough plan, drawn up on Microsoft Paint.

upload_2017-5-24_14-55-13.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you mske it no wider than the house (ie drop the extra 1m) you could try the prior notification scheme and if no-one objects,
it is permited development by default and the council has no say.
The only snag is that you are limited to 4m overall height, which would probably preclude a pitched roof - maybe consider a flat roof with lantern?

Not keen on lanterns, its a south facing plot. Also, want to keep heating bills down in winter really. Although, they do look nice!

Same width is doable. Ideally, i want 3m kitchen and 4m lounge, but the current width allows about 3m and 3.6m only - and that is with the old walls, which are not insulated yet. I will probably do external insulation on existing bungalow if it is too chilly this winter.

If you mske it no wider than the house (ie drop the extra 1m) you could try the prior notification scheme and if no-one objects,
it is permited development by default and the council has no say.
The only snag is that you are limited to 4m overall height, which would probably preclude a pitched roof - maybe consider a flat roof with lantern?
And then if that went through (which need not cost much at all except time) the OP could then apply for PP for his actual proposal and make the planners focus on what can be achieved without PP.

Sponsored Links
Isn't it better to go bigger first? Otherwise, they might respond with "you have permission fora nice PD extension, do that"? Maybe?

You could apply first off for planning permission. But you have to show full drawings, and the neighbours get to see exactly what you propose, and may not like it. If they write to the council objecting, it gives the planning officer more ammunition to refuse it.

The beauty of the prior notification scheme is 1. it is free, and 2. you do not need to give them full drawings. A simple free-hand site sketch plan suffices (it doesn't even have to be to scale), and you just give the maximum sizes in writing. In many instances with these applications, I've noticed that neighbours often don't fully understand what's being proposed, and don't bother objecting - in which case the council has no input and it gets OK'd by default.

But try FMT's approach, getting the PN first, and then chance your arm with a full planning application.

Ah I see. OK, so for this house, there is no mention of any extensions on the local planning website. The neighbours house (on the right in that photo) has a notice from 1976, so I know that they once extended a little way. So, I can assume that never an extension done (certainly no sign of one) so I get do the whole 8m PD thing? Sounds handy!

well, one house is currently empty (sold, probate), and the other has their garage along there ... so if I get a move on, I might get lucky!

PD rules say: Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.

I assume that if a rear and a side together, like I would like, then this does not count? Or does it?

The info. in that link is incorrect, in that the legislation does not require plans or drawings to any specific scale.
A simple free-hand sketch of the site would suffice, as long as it shows the house and extension; also written description
giving maximum dimensions.

The whole purpose of the legislation was to make it easy and cost-effective for homeowners themselves to apply without
having to employ professionals and other fee-grabbing opportunists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back