Are skirting boards necessary ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are renovating a loft space with very shallow walls running under the eaves, and limited head space.
The plaster board walls are secure and well sealed to the floor.
Is there any reason why should not be able to run a carpet right up to the wall, without any skirting board?
Any advice, ideas really appreciated!
Mike

Sponsored Links
origional function off skirting
to seal gap between floor and wall
accomodate expansion and contraction
protect wall from impact
apart from possibly looking odd
in your scenario
impact less likely due to set up
carpet will both cover gap and take up expansion as well as provide a decent seal or possible sealant can be used under carpet iff draughty

They also protect the bottom of the plasterwork. Without them bottoms of walls tend to take a beating over time

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes if you can be careful with the hoover and furniture etc and you can ensure your carpet fitter doesn't ruin the bottom of the wall completley when installing the carpet then go for it, only aesthetic, it can look really slick in the right scenario. If I did a self build and didn't have kids I'd have no skirtings but then I'd also have no carpets anywhere.

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to run a piece of skirting board along a wall there's always an option to use coving, about 2" high, maybe. Plenty of decorative choices are available.

My old office was breeze block and solid floors. No skirting.
it looks ok but obviously the floor interface gets dirty and it is easier to paint a skirt that repaint the entire wall.
(although in my garage at home with floor paint and white walls, I painted three bricks high with floor paint.)

I’d say that no skirting can look good domestically only if the standards are high.
Done well - cool,
Done badly, - looks unfinished
Same as architrave free “hidden doors”

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back