Are there any restrictions to location of water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small flat which has an 80 litre unvented electric water heater mounted on the wall above the stairwell.
It seems a strange place, but I can see they have done it to save space in the small kitchen.

Are there any restrictions as to where you can have these?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Not really ... apart from the obvious dangerous places where it can cause an obstruction or could be damaged or if something happened it would cause a danger to life or limb. Oh and just a bit of downright common sense.

Post a pic .... because if it's where my imagination is telling me it is from your description then if it isn't enclosed and/or properly supported and you walk underneath it every day then I'd be slightly concerned.

Thanks, here's a pic, the stairs are below, the heater is fixed to the wall by 4 coach screws going through the brackets it was supplied with.
It has been there over 10 years.
Screenshot_20220309-223551_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Whilst it's not strictly wrong, could an argument be made that it's not suitably located. Difficult one. Is that the consumer unit below it?

I guess an argument could be made that it's not in the best place but does it constitute a safety risk and does it break any regs, nothing that I can think of off hand. Does the pipework head off through the wall? Would be interesting to see where the temp/pressure relief pipework is located/heading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back