Are these drain pipes old clay? Would you change them if you were me?

You should have ventilation somewhere. Hopefully your soil stack has a vent at the top of your house. If so then the chamber vent is redundant, as it can vent through the inlet pipe.

Sponsored Links
You should have ventilation somewhere. Hopefully your soil stack has a vent at the top of your house. If so then the chamber vent is redundant, as it can vent through the inlet pipe.
I'm no expert here as I've only just discovered these exist. However, with a bung and a trap in the outlet to the chamber, isn't the vent necessary to stop the chamber becoming pressurized in any way and holding the flow back? Without chamber ventilation the flow in will be restricted by the speed/capacity through the trap?

i.e. a slug of water and other stuff from a toilet will be coming down the pipe and the air pushed ahead of it has to go somewhere. Without a vent it would be trying to blow through the interceptor trap.

The inlet pipe will vent the chamber. It will provide a straight-through route for air to enter or leave, as it does in every chamber without a Victorian ground level vent.

Provided of course that it does have a vent. Which it should, otherwise the toilet and/or basin wastes would frequently end up half-empty after flushing.

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the top pipe was originally installed for ventilation, but (obviously) could be used for other things.
I reckon you've got a Buchan Trap (
Buchan Hell - when they block - need a power flushing machine - looks fine now though. Top pipe is an air inlet.

Most of the valves on the manhole vents aren't in working order now, as the Mica flaps have seized up.

The Interceptor Traps were a Victorian idea to seal off the House Drains from the Main sewer in the road. They are a total PITA, prone to blocking, the stopper in the rodding eye often falls out, causing its own set of issues, and often, if they are giving frequent problems, the Interceptor is removed and a straight pipe fitted in place.

The Low level vents were designed as Air Admittance Valves, but invariably they stuck open, so people have blocked them off over the years. Its not required now, so cap it off if desired. The Victorian idea was, air passing over the top of the soil or vent stack would cause a negative pressure in the house drainage system, thus drawing fresh air in at the low level vent, through the system and out the top of the stack, thereby keeping the house drains aired, and avoiding the build up of 'drain air' which they initially believed was the cause of their ills.

Until they found out it was actually the water...

Thank you all, I learned a lot. Seems we hit the jackpot and got a crazy deep old clay pipe that would be a huge undertaking to replace along with a "+Buchan" hell"!

Drainage guys coming tomorrow for a map survey and CCTV hopefully all will be fine...

Also if one day there is an issue with this drain, I guess epoxy lining would be relevant here in order to avoid digging this deep?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back