Are these electrics safe?

An isolator is handy for the electrician if you want to replace the consumer unit. Other than that it serves no function but assuming it was fitted at no additional cost, why complain?

Getting a full EICR is the only sensible way forward. It will tell you what the installation does or does not need.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE

We have had an EICR and it basically says 4 circuits are dead the sockets, lights, kitchen cooker and another one. Only 2 circuits are ok. They recommended a full rewire.

Had another electrician in but he didn't do a EICR and did some tests and a look around and said he would like to see the report once we get it tomorrow. He didn't really believe it needed a full rewire and just to find and fix the faults would be enough.

Scottish Power had one of their contractors in who fitted a new earth and got rid of PVI cabled and upgraded them.
They said rest of house is fitted with twin and earth cables. I asked them what their general thoughts were on a rewire, they said they can't really say but probably a good idea from what they can see especially as property empty at the moment.

However we have decided to take the advice of the EICR report and just do a full rewire as house is empty.

The only thing is we had the decorating booked this week and the rewire will be finished 2 days before we have to move in or end up paying rent for another month and no time for the decorator to paint it as he has other jobs booked for then.

So my question is do you think we should just get the painting done now and ask them to leave the left over paint and we can just paint over the rewiring patches?

Sponsored Links
I would get the decorating put back until after the rewire.
a rewire can make a heck of a mess to your walls and patching up will be seen if not done well so IMHO I'd decorate after.

Also, plan what sockets you want and where they will go in each room, plan also for some ethernet cable points to be fitted.

While you have an empty property it is an ideal time for all this to happen.

I would get the decorating put back until after the rewire.
a rewire can make a heck of a mess to your walls and patching up will be seen if not done well so IMHO I'd decorate after.

Also, plan what sockets you want and where they will go in each room, plan also for some ethernet cable points to be fitted.

While you have an empty property it is an ideal time for all this to happen.
Absolute tosh to do this any other way.

EDIT: Just to confirm I'm agreeing, the only way is decoration at the end of everything else apart from carpets.

Last edited:
Yes, Cart Before Horse I`m afraid.
You are probably thinking now that you should have had things checked before you bought the place, or at least before you moved in.
If you are having a rewire then decorating should be done afterwards, any gas/central heating/water supplies and a load of other stuff should be viewed and sorted before you even think about decorating, decorating and carpeting are the last man in kind of thing, the extra month(s) rent is small in comparison to the core services.

The only thing is we had the decorating booked this week and the rewire will be finished 2 days before we have to move in or end up paying rent for another month and no time for the decorator to paint it as he has other jobs booked for then.

Rewire first, decorate later. If you want to save rental by moving in, camp out in one room, with no carpets.

Out of curiosity, if you are 'renting' as you say you are, why is all of this responsibility falling upon you?

Surely, if you are renting this property then the condition and rectification of all these points should be down to the landlord?

Out of curiosity, if you are 'renting' as you say you are, why is all of this responsibility falling upon you?

Surely, if you are renting this property then the condition and rectification of all these points should be down to the landlord?
Pretty sure he's currently renting and has bought a house

yes i took it that way but as im always saying, you should never assume cos assume makes an ass of u & me. so i could be wrong

yes i took it that way but as im always saying, you should never assume cos assume makes an ass of u & me. so i could be wrong

The OP said 'The only thing is we had the decorating booked this week and the rewire will be finished 2 days before we have to move in or end up paying rent for another month and no time for the decorator to paint it as he has other jobs booked for then.'

So where they live at the moment, they pay rent. As I said, he could move into a corner of the house, whilst the work is done, struggle and save on rent and just put up with the mess.

Yes or not move in yet if that is an option, also to consider that a completely empty house if possible will cost less than a house full of furniture, carpets and belongings that need moving around.

I always considered it to be my birthday and xmas at the same time if I ever got to rewire an empty house. My absolute record was three in a row - a row meaning one job after the other not three houses in the same street.
In fact quite a few would not rewire a house that was lived in or some would charge a lot more.
I worked the other way, I discounted according to how empty the house was. One bloke I knew would pay them to go on holiday whilst he was working there, or part thereof.
It can make a lot of difference.

Yes Harry that`s how I took it from what was said but I did not check back, I assumed somebody had spotted something in the OP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back