Are these OK for a fuse upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like an EV charger but only have a 60A main fuse. Here is a photo of cables from the fuse to the meter (on the left) and from the meter to the CU. Shall I request an upgrade to 80 or 100?

Attachments

• 20211029_103709.jpg
    20211029_103709.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
Normally the tails
shopping
are double insulated, they don't look double insulated. And an EV charging point has a lot of extra stuff, depending on type of supply, and type of charging pod, this may include Henley blocks so the charger supply does not come from the consumer unit, type B RCD's or auto disconnection devices if over 6 mA DC and the list goes on, when I moved in here the fuse box was only rated at 60 amp also likely it needs a common isolator fitting. So the way forward is to select you is to fit the charge point, and they them specify what is required as it alters make to make.

... they don't look double insulated.
What makes you say that - one surely can't tell from what we've been shown.

Are you perhaps assuming that the fact that the 'coverings' we can see are blue and brown (and perhaps are expecting grey, if 'double insulated' $ strictly 'insulated and sheathed'}) means that they are not 'insulated and sleeved'? If so, there are plenty of 'meter tails' around which have blue/brown (or red/black) sheathing, as well as inner insulation - as per these 'tail kits' from TLC ...

CA25FTP1.JPG

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What makes you say that - one surely can't tell from what we've been shown.

Are you perhaps assuming that the fact that the 'coverings' we can see are blue and brown (and perhaps are expecting grey, if 'double insulated' $ strictly 'insulated and sheathed'}) means that they are not 'insulated and sleeved'? If so, there are plenty of 'meter tails' around which have blue/brown (or red/black) sheathing, as well as inner insulation - as per these 'tail kits' from TLC ...

CA25FTP1.JPG

Kind Regards, John
Exactly.

I should think the tails are sheathed, most likely
a red with grey sheath.
a black with black sheath.
a harmonised blue with blue sheath
a harmonised brown with brown sheath.

Admittedly there is nothing else in the picture to give idea of scale.

Exactly.

I should think the tails are sheathed, most likely
a red with grey sheath.
a black with black sheath.
a harmonised blue with blue sheath
a harmonised brown with brown sheath.

Admittedly there is nothing else in the picture to give idea of scale.
Oh the irony...

Instantly my assumption is this is a 3phase installation, upon seeing the picture, and I was seeing the tails either before or after the meter, it didn't for a single second cross my mind this is all of the tails terminated in a single phase meter:(. However bear in mind the majority of controls panels use 3ph so I'm very used to the colour combination.

My viewing of the pic looked totally like sheathed tails and my only thought, like you, is scale.

If that's directly below a regular 80 or 100A 1ph meter, my thoughts are 16mm² by comparing the spacing/size of wire and expect to have to upgrade them. Your electrician will be able to tell just by looking but in the meantime do you have the means to accuratly measure the diameter or circumference?

EDIT: Google says: 25mm tails = approx 11.5 mm dia. 16mm tails = approx 9 mm dia. (overall sheath).

Oh the irony... Instantly my assumption is this is a 3phase installation, upon seeing the picture, and I was seeing the tails either before or after the meter, it didn't for a single second cross my mind this is all of the tails terminated in a single phase meter:(.
... which all goes to show how dangerous it can be to draw conclusions from inadequate information :)

Even though I am used to looking at the tails of my 3-phase installation to look out, I have to say ('counter-echoing' what you write) that "it didn't for a single second cross my mind this is was not all of the tails terminated in a single phase meter!

Kind Regards, John

Even though I am used to looking at the tails of my 3-phase installation to look out, I have to say ('counter-echoing' what you write) that "it didn't for a single second cross my mind this is was not all of the tails terminated in a single phase meter!

Kind Regards, John
However if your tails were brown, black, grey, blue there is a tiny chance it may have swayed your thought.

However if your tails were brown, black, grey, blue there is a tiny chance it may have swayed your thought.
Yes, maybe.

Following my most recent 'meter change' (still 'dumb', even though only 2-3 years ago *), all three of my live tails, both in and out of the meter, have brown sheaths (and the neutral has blue) (all, including neutral, previously grey-sheathed), but I haven't got a clue as to the insulation colours of them. The incoming (overhead) supply cables all remain brown-sheathed (including the neutral **).

* I think they may know that, where I live, they would probably struggle to get a usable GSM signal, such that attempting to install a 'smart' meter would probably cause them heartache or, at least, hassle :)

** as previously reported, I know that the incoming (brown-sheathed) neutral has red inner insulation (I guess 'all they had on the van at the time!) - per photo below, but the most recent meter changer hid that 'evidence' with grey silicone :)

upload_2021-10-29_21-8-0.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back