Are these screws ok for OSB3 on my flatroof?

Sponsored Links
Hi SS, I've done a couple of flat roofs and used decking screws (for OSB use a length of at least 2.5x the thickness of the board). Those linked are for internal use only.

Yeah sound, something like that, think the ones I used were a shade longer at 65mm.

Sponsored Links
The screws are going into the firrings i assume and they dont need to pass through to the joist?

You'll fix your firrings to the joist first and then the OSB on top so the screws will pass through to the joist at the thinner end. Towards the thicker end make sure the firrings are adequately fixed to the joist where your screws won't reach the joist.

Alternatively you could use longer screws as the firrings get thicker so it goes through to the joist.

You need to avoid the screws indenting the surface too much unless you are countersinking each hole :eek:, so a screw with a wide "double countersunk" head (self cutting) would be better.

You'll fix your firrings to the joist first and then the OSB on top so the screws will pass through to the joist at the thinner end. Towards the thicker end make sure the firrings are adequately fixed to the joist where your screws won't reach the joist.

Alternatively you could use longer screws as the firrings get thicker so it goes through to the joist.

What glue do you recommend?

What glue do you recommend?

I didn't use any glue for fixing the firrings, just screws and countersunk the ones where the firrings got thicker.

I'm not sure I'd trust glue on its own but I'm only a diyer so one of pros might suggest otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back