Are we mugs?

M

Mickymoody

Has anyone had a dry Martini, or Dry Cider?

It clearly isn't dry, it's wet.

Is evaporated milk a rip off? Surely if it's evaporated, then the tin is empty?

Why does milk come in standardised bottles, from the milkman, not shops, why does sterilised milk have a different top?

Why use foil tops on milkman delivery, in freezing weather, so the ice inside the bottle cause the lid to pop, with ice?

Sponsored Links
Why use foil tops on milkman delivery, in freezing weather, so the ice inside the bottle cause the lid to pop, with ice?

If the lid didn't pop what do you think would happen to the bottle.
Perhaps they need bigger bottles.

Isn't the term dry used in the same way as sans, ie it implies the absence of something.

Oxymoron- is that a silly cow?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone had a dry Martini, or Dry Cider?

It clearly isn't dry, it's wet.

Is evaporated milk a rip off? Surely if it's evaporated, then the tin is empty?

Why does milk come in standardised bottles, from the milkman, not shops, why does sterilised milk have a different top?

From the mind of the mental and idle. :LOL:

Standardised bottles?

Not sure what this means...

Or standardised milk?

Standardised milk has a fat content of min 3.5% but supermarket milk is often standardised and homo, ie the fat is evenly distributed throughout the milk and does not float on the top like milk in a glass bottle.

Sterilized has a different top, usually a crown cork, as it has a hermetic seal. Plastic bottles and glass bottles with a foil top are not hermetic.

UHT is another milk that is hermetically sealed, usually in Tetrapak (1961) or similar cartons.

UHT is treated at a minimum of 135 degrees for 2 seconds and has a shelf life of 6-9 months, whereas sterilized is treated at 111 degrees for 25-30 minutes and is to remain fresh for at least 7 days while being stored at room temperature.

I didn't really work in a dairy....

Standardised bottles?

Not sure what this means...

Or standardised milk?

Me thinks that he means the shape of the glass bottles. I'd assume that it was a joint decision by the milk delivery companies. Having the same bottle sizes allows them to collect and use each others.

mind you back in the days of glass bottles- the old bill had intel regarding missing bottles prior to a riot.

WOW Securespark...I excluded Tetrapak..so without looking it up, what is hermetic? Crown cork? wow, I never knew they were called that.

Then you have the orange juice delivered by the milkman, in milkbottle sized bottles.

Does anyone recall school milk in little bottles. Awful and off in summer, tops blown off in winter. :LOL:

Not mental and idle, if people posted their idle thoughts to a willing forum to discuss, then maybe, between us all, something could be invented by the collective. A bit of light relief. :)

Milk is not in standard bottles. I have mine delivered by a local family dairy farm, they have a small bottling plant, and use a fairly old-fashioned shape of bottle. Some of their bottles are printed with their own farm name, but from time to time they obviously buy up stocks of new bottles from other small businesses using the same shape of bottle, with different names on them.

Their farm does not have its own separation plant, so although they deliver gold-top and silver-top from their own herds, when they deliver skimmed or semi, they buy it in from a larger plant, and it comes in a different-shaped bottle.

They use glass bottles because there is no extra journey required to collect the old when delivering the new, and the multi-use bottles work out cheaper than single-use tetrapak or similar. They are also easier to open. Supermarkets omit the collection and recycling to simplify their business process

Milk is not in standard bottles. I have mine delivered by a local family dairy farm, they have a small bottling plant, and use a fairly old-fashioned shape of bottle. Some of their bottles are printed with their own farm name, but from time to time they obviously buy up stocks of new bottles from other small businesses using the same shape of bottle, with different names on them.

Their farm does not have its own separation plant, so although they deliver gold-top and silver-top from their own herds, when they deliver skimmed or semi, they buy it in from a larger plant, and it comes in a different-shaped bottle.

They use glass bottles because there is no extra journey required to collect the old when delivering the new, and the multi-use bottles work out cheaper than single-use tetrapak or similar. They are also easier to open. Supermarkets omit the collection and recycling to simplify their business process

Sorry, I need to say, that I omitted supermarkets from the question....

You state that you use an old style bottle, then use the same style bottle from other dairies..thus contradicting yourself? You lose me after that, as I specificy said I disregard Tetrapak. I've no idea what you are saying. Please explain?

You state that you use an old style bottle, then use the same style bottle from other dairies..thus contradicting yourself?

No

The dairy farm (not me) uses an old-style tall bottle for the milk they bottle themselves. When they sell skimmed or semi, they obtain it from another supplier which uses modern squat bottles.

Some other farms, presumably also having old bottling plant, also use the old-style bottles.

If one of these farms stops bottling, or goes out of business, it will have a stock of these bottles (they are still being made, new). In the deadstock sale these bottles can be bought by other farms who still need that style.

Old style bottles being made new, or new bottle, made in the fashion of old style bottles...or old style bottles being bought up by new style dairys....

Is there a point when you need to take a step back...and think?

Sponsored Links
Back