Are Wire Nuts the wrong choice in the UK?

773 168 is the wago part number, suitable for solid core cables they are on amazon but a lot dearer, just ensure they state WAGO as theres many clones

Sponsored Links
You are mistaken
Perhaps I may be mistaken about what can be achieved with the traditional connectors. As a teenager, I did some very dodgy things with such connectors in my experimental projects. I didn't kill anyone and I only blew a few fuses. As a grown up, I'm aiming for something that'd be safe in the future rather than quickly cobbling together a Heath-Robinson solution. I can assure you, even if my lack of confidence would be unfounded, I'd not feel confident about a traditional connector if I were to install it with more than 2 wires per screw.

Perhaps I may be mistaken about what can be achieved with the traditional connectors.
Yes. You seem to have some strange ideas.

As a teenager, I did some very dodgy things with such connectors in my experimental projects. I didn't kill anyone and I only blew a few fuses. As a grown up, I'm aiming for something that'd be safe in the future rather than quickly cobbling together a Heath-Robinson solution. I can assure you, even if my lack of confidence would be unfounded, I'd not feel confident about a traditional connector if I were to install it with more than 2 wires per screw.
They do not blow fuses and are perfectly safe now and in the future.

Their use is not cobbling together a Heath-Robinson solution.

They do not blow fuses and are perfectly safe now and in the future.
Their use is not cobbling together a Heath-Robinson solution.
You haven't seen the technology projects I experimentally cobbled together from reclaimed scrap when I was a teenager. If you had, it is inconceivable that you could ever have considered my mains electricity devices 'perfectly safe'. I'm not saying that you can't use the traditional connector product safely - I'm only saying that I'd lack confidence in the quality of my work if using that product for my current objective.
773 168 is the wago part number, suitable for solid core cables they are on amazon but a lot dearer, just ensure they state WAGO as theres many clones
Many thanks for that. I'd found this kind of push-in terminal... though only after being pointed at Wago. It's really helpful to have the Wago part number confirmed. They do look pricey on Amazon... but, perhaps, that's because they're sold in packs of 50. Farnell has the same part priced at 33p each (ex VAT & Delivery) and sells them individually. I am really liking the look of the 'bulk pack' Wago 221 connectors for other DIY... 90 connectors for £12.50 is an average of ~14p each - which I consider very cheap. The only frustration is that I can't order a 'pick-n-mix' selection. If I had been aware of these Wago connectors a couple of years ago, when I wired in replacement sockets (on existing wiring) in my house... they'd definitely have made the job much quicker, easier and neater.
you can get 8 way wagos
Awesome - Many thanks. A bargain too!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The OP is evidently inexperienced in standard electrical installation techniques and does indeed have some rather novel preconceptions about what is and isn't safe.

I use traditional choc-block connectors on a daily basis to join together multiple wires, often with far greater current draw than s/he is dealing with, and am certainly not leaving a trail of fiery destruction and shocked/electrocuted clients in my wake :mrgreen:

The OP is evidently inexperienced in standard electrical installation techniques and does indeed have some rather novel preconceptions about what is and isn't safe.

I use traditional choc-block connectors on a daily basis to join together multiple wires, often with far greater current draw than s/he is dealing with, and am certainly not leaving a trail of fiery destruction and shocked/electrocuted clients in my wake :mrgreen:
I am definitely inexperienced with respect to standard (modern) electrical installation techniques. I'm amateur not professional. I don't agree, however, that I have novel preconceptions about what is (and is not) safe. My amateur approach likely does result in me being overly cautious at times - I am completely happy for it to be that way. If I anticipate that wires may pull out of the connectors I've chosen... that is something I would consider an issue for me. It's probably not a safety issue in the way that omitting earth, or using inadequately rated cable, might be considered a safety issue... but it could be a safety issue in the sense that I want these lights to "just work" - indefinitely. I don't want to find myself in the dark, tripping over things, if my installation fails. I don't want to risk tripping the consumer unit if a wire might pop out.

I have no concerns about 'chock-block' connectors and inline use of the traditional two-screw terminals where there are 1,2 or - perhaps - 3 wires clamped by each screw. Current draw is not a relevant concern in my context - but securely clamping the wires remains a priority for me. With more than 2-3 wires, there's a bigger risk that wires will pull out as the wiring is pushed into the box and the switches are secured on the front. I didn't want to take such risks with this project. I don't want to pass comment on how you meet your clients' requirements - I'm definitely not trying to criticise your use of any product you choose for any of your jobs... or saying there'll be any issue with your work. I'm only saying that I didn't feel that the traditional product, with which I was already familiar (which I have abused horribly in my distant past) was optimal - for me - for my current project.

The Wago-style connectors present a compelling alternative that eliminates my concern. I'm very pleased to have found what seems, to me, to be a good quality solution to my dilemma. I'm very pleased I've bought 10 8-way push-in Wago connectors, for 25p each, to collect tomorrow. I expect I will use the traditional connector strips, for other purposes, in future - but it's great to have a found an alternative for this job. Thanks again to everyone - for introducing me to this type of connector.

Last edited:
Don't pay extra just for fashion then.
Good heavens no.

I have often found 1.5mm² to be same price or cheaper than 1.0mm², especially in wholesalers. Having no actual insight or proof, I assume this is due to the bulk purchasing pricing they are able to achieve now that the 'fashion' as you describe is more of it being used.

However this 'fashion' seems to have been in place for 60 years or more.

I am definitely inexperienced with respect to standard (modern) electrical installation techniques. I'm amateur not professional. I don't agree, however, that I have novel preconceptions about what is (and is not) safe. My amateur approach likely does result in me being overly cautious at times - I am completely happy for it to be that way. If I anticipate that wires may pull out of the connectors I've chosen... that is something I would consider an issue for me. It's probably not a safety issue in the way that omitting earth, or using inadequately rated cable, might be considered a safety issue... but it could be a safety issue in the sense that I want these lights to "just work" - indefinitely. I don't want to find myself in the dark, tripping over things, if my installation fails. I don't want to risk tripping the consumer unit if a wire might pop out.

I have no concerns about 'chock-block' connectors and inline use of the traditional two-screw terminals where there are 1,2 or - perhaps - 3 wires clamped by each screw. Current draw is not a relevant concern in my context - but securely clamping the wires remains a priority for me. With more than 2-3 wires, there's a bigger risk that wires will pull out as the wiring is pushed into the box and the switches are secured on the front. I didn't want to take such risks with this project. I don't want to pass comment on how you meet your clients' requirements - I'm definitely not trying to criticise your use of any product you choose for any of your jobs... or saying there'll be any issue with your work. I'm only saying that I didn't feel that the traditional product, with which I was already familiar (which I have abused horribly in my distant past) was optimal - for me - for my current project.
You shouldn't doubt your concerns. multiple wires in a terminal can be difficult to fit, depending on the location and space available, and it is a fairly common failure, especially when cabling is moved and the cores can be dislodged. EFL is sort of correct that that they are more secure in an ideal sized receptacle but it can be very difficult to source the ideal size for a particular wire but then making say 8 wires off into a round hole gets difficult, especially when the size of the insulation comes into the equation.
This is easy to simulate; try to lay 8x 10p coins down in a nice round pattern so they are all touching without big gaps...
Then remove one so they are all touching; one in the middle and 6 round it then add 7x 5p coins on top, now imagine that representing the wire with the insulation round it.

Try the same thing with other quantities too; 5 is not good, nor 9.

Did you consider twisting and soldering as a permanent fix into one terminal?
I think that 1.5 T & E is overkill.
Also usually too rigid in some applications.
I have always found 1.5 to be more expensive than 1.0 too.
I suppopse there will be instances where some wholesalers sell it cheaper though as some have stated, in the real world we not only use quantity of metal, glass etc etc used in production but also the quantity lengths of production runs can have a significant effect on costs.

One prime example used to be that some 5` fluorescent fittings were actually cheaper in total than 4` fittings etc etc.

I think I would be confident that Wago`etc would be OK on lighting circuits but do not feel as easy about power circuits but there again I am an old fuddy-duddy so that might explain it.

Speaking about strip connectors and terminals, I almost always at least double solid conductors working on the principle that as near as we can get to cable outside diameter being as close as possible to inside of terminal diameter to be better for touch contact of circumference area and I think most Electricians agree.
However I did once come accross one chap who insisted that doubling over was rough, he said he was uni educted in such things but I always thought he must have missunderstood the tutors on that one, he used to argue with his brother in law (time served Electrician) same as he argued with me.

One thing that appears to missing from this discussion, is that its normal to use connector blocks with the cores clamped under both screws, whether that be with all of them entering from one end (in which case, some of the old skool guys may have put a bit of a switch on them first - generally frowned upon these days), or entering from both ends, but still with every core clamped by both terminals, also ensure you have a big enough terminal.

Sometimes DIYers like to put cables in under only one screw, using both sides, which is probably because in many cases they have used a connector block thats too small to have all conductors under both screws, also have a tendancy to cut the conductors short, make it off and then 'mush' it into the box, rather than leaving them a vit longer, dressing them neatly and putting it neatly in the box

Must admit I favour the two screw approach where possible
so do I but I'm finding many now have some restriction in them, especially those with fingers to protect the wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back