Argghh! Advice re kitchen light sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Electrics are supposed to be simple. but perhaps it's me who is simple.

We have a light fitting in the kitchen with 4 halogen bulbs. It is controlled by 2 switches in parallel - one normal and one dimmer. It's been working fine - every so often a bulb goes, trips the RCD, gets replaced, and all continues working.

This time when one blew, it tripped the RCD, I reset the RCD and now the light doesn't work at all. All other lights on the circuit work OK. I have tightened all the wiring in the switches, and also the fitting. A multimeter across the two contacts in each bulb housing shows there is 240V getting to each one when the switch is on. I have replaced every bulb with brand new ones. But still no light.

I have no idea where to go from here - surely if power is getting to the bulbs then there can't be a wiring issue? Having said that I don't know if the fact there's 240V there means there's enough *power* there. I also noted that when the switch is off there is still about 25V across the contacts, but have no idea if this is normal.

Any ideas gratefull received

cheers - Rob

Sponsored Links
robathome said:
It is controlled by 2 switches in parallel - one normal and one dimmer.
Please can you explain, do you mean it is 2 way or are both switches in series
It's been working fine - every so often a bulb goes, trips the RCD, gets replaced, and all continues working.
Are you sure, RCD or MCB?
This time when one blew, it tripped the RCD, I reset the RCD and now the light doesn't work at all. All other lights on the circuit work OK. I have tightened all the wiring in the switches, and also the fitting. A multimeter across the two contacts in each bulb housing shows there is 240V getting to each one when the switch is on. I have replaced every bulb with brand new ones. But still no light.
Have you tried bypassing the dimmer switch, as from what you describe I wouldn't be suprised if the dimmer switch is U/S?

Spark123 said:
Have you tried bypassing the dimmer switch, as from what you describe I wouldn't be suprised if the dimmer switch is U/S?

Yep that was it - thanks. I swapped dimmers and it worked - the lamp blowing must have taken out the dimmer.

Thanks for the reply
Rob

Sponsored Links
robathome said:
Electrics are supposed to be simple.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back