argi

doitall said:
I can assure you Chris we had no idea then or now what has caused the crash, it sure as hell wasn't intended, in fact quite the opposite.
So was I the only one who knew the old site was going to cease functioning at the end of August? If so, doesn't it seem odd to you that I should have know that? Aren't you even curious to know how I knew it?

I just find the whole thing beyond belief. Forum postings over the last 2 years had revealed that the existing site had "a problem" and that it would come to a head when the current site account expired this 1st September. I pointed this out last week yet you all insist it came as a complete surprise!

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
I can assure you Chris we had no idea then or now what has caused the crash, it sure as hell wasn't intended, in fact quite the opposite.

I posted the explanation on the gas-news site the day it went off John.

Nevertheless, it does not seem to have been anything which could have been predicted.

Yet whenever I explain something like this, someone else always jumps in and says they already knew ( but did not tell anyone ).

Tony

Agile said:
I posted the explanation on the gas-news site the day it went off
So where is that explanation now? No sign of it on Gas-news.
Agile said:
... someone else always jumps in and says they already knew ( but did not tell anyone ).
If that refers to me, you should know that I did try to point this out before the event on the old ARGI site, but nobody wanted to know.

I did my best to tease out the truth but others clearly thought it should all be swept under the carpet. With the new site they may have their way. I for one will not be there to ask awkward questions.

namsag said:
Only thing it doesn`t ask for i my swiss bank account number, a lot of people like to remain anonymous so why do you need address etc , if you want proof of corgi whats up with id card number, but then again you allow ex corgi to register without numbers ..

The reason for the address, CORGI registration and card serial number is to enable me to check that applicants are genuine.

Those who join control what details are shown, just like you have your profile set up on this site.

I understand that people may be a bit apprehensive about being a member of the Association of Registered Gas Installers because they think CORGI will single them out, but they should not be afraid.

Last year there were almost thirty blokes wearing ARGI T-shirts, circulating around the manufacturers stands at the Interbuild Exhibition at Birmingham.

Indeed we besieged the CORGI stand,in a nice way that is, and asked the CORGI staff questions about the GWN article in the Gas Installer maghazine.

The question that I wanted an answer to was regarding the supposed eleven ID situations CORGI stated their Inspectors had found in the, approximately 229 GWN notified installations their inspectors had inspected in the period, April to December 2005.

I wanted to know what the details of these 11 ID,s were.

"Oh, ah well, we cant tell you that" was their reply

"Why not" said I.

and for a while we were stone walled.

Eventualy I had to politely point out that I felt they did not know.
So along with other argi T-shiirted Independant Registered Gas Installers I said that obviously the staff on the stand had been kept in the dark as to details of these ID,s.

So our next request was for the CORGI stand staff to get on the phone and request the presence of some one who did know.

Five minutes later Tim Ottridge appeared, he tried the cant tell you, weare not allowed to divulge routine on us once more.

We politely pointed out that we as responsabe Gas Operatives we felt that information like that should be shared with those on the front line of Gas safety, the Registered Gas Installer.

Eventually Tim Ottridge suggested that most of these Id,s were in fact spillage failures,
which as I am sure you will agree shows that CORGI were desperate to justify the Millions of pounds of the publics money that they had been sent through their introduction of GWN.
A spillage test result is only valid on the day of test, a bit like an MOT on your van.

All I am trying to point out is that CORGI are no longer able to intimidate those who pay CORGI,s wages and pensions (thats me and you)

One man set this Association up and now there are over a thousand ARGI members, not all have got to the new site yet because of unforeseen events,
I would not mind betting that the formation of ARGI was an unforeseen event where CORGI is concerned.

;)

So why not get your self up to Installer Live this month and meet those ARGI members who are trying to let those Gas Operatives ,who still are working under the CORGI cloud, who dont realise that the sun does not originate from Basingstoke,
that there is an association that is run by Gas Installers for the benifit of Gas Installers.

Tim

PS, There is a debate on ARGI about FGA,s, and their introduction into the ACS structure, and what ARGI are doing with regard this subject, and doing on behalf of all Registered Gas Operatives, why not come on in and share your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
markplumb, re the email address bit, as I understand it, this proceedure helps as it enables us to verify who people are,

Those who dont have the confidence to join other gas installers in a conserted effort to get a grip of the gas industry,
will still benifit from ARGI,s achivements,

Its just that with out their help, it may take a little bit longer. ;)

Tim

Chris, unfortunately I have deleted the email because it was not very relevant to me and I had posted it on Gas-News for anyone to see. Les must have deleted it because it was not within the main themes of his site.

The Owner of the ARGI.org and ARGI.co.uk domains is Phil Cooper. He hosted these sites with a US host. I gather that he is unhappy with the direction that ARGI is taking or the way that it is being run and has refused to co-operate to unlock and develop "his" sites.

The hosting firm dropped the sites because they were using too much resources on their server, in one aspect 53% whereas their rule is that no individual site should exceed 10%. Obviously these problems could be resolved but only by the owner of the domains at additional cost.

It has always surprised me that Phil Cooper seems so apparently negative towards the ARGI he created. I have this feeling that I could have helped as I was once described as a "highly experienced negotiator" in an article in the Estates Gazette. It may be that he has also been abused and is just fed up with the people running ARGI. Nobody tells us whats going on inside ARGI. Does anyone know who has been discussing the site with Phil Cooper?

Tony

Tony, all that seems to fit quite well with what I know and what I suspect. What is extraordinary is that all this was kept secret from ARGI's own members. Because it was impossible to discuss this openly on the ARGI site we now have it discussed on this public forum!

sooey said:
Are any of the other argi lads on here having problems getting onto the site?

Have you got sorted, sooey, I will check my inbox to see if you are in amoungst todays straggleers ;)

If any other gas installer out their has had enough of overbearing legislation and those poeple who make it dificult for you to compete with the unregistered, please dont be put off by those not in the know,

Fill in the form and join the Association that is here, or should I say there , for indipendant registered gas installers, trainee,s, and those people associated with this countries gas industry,

You are all very welcome,

well nearly all of you

TIm ;)

Agile said:
Chris, unfortunately I have deleted the email because it was not very relevant to me and I had posted it on Gas-News for anyone to see. Les must have deleted it because it was not within the main themes of his site.

The Owner of the ARGI.org and ARGI.co.uk domains is Phil Cooper. He hosted these sites with a US host. I gather that he is unhappy with the direction that ARGI is taking or the way that it is being run and has refused to co-operate to unlock and develop "his" sites.

The hosting firm dropped the sites because they were using too much resources on their server, in one aspect 53% whereas their rule is that no individual site should exceed 10%. Obviously these problems could be resolved but only by the owner of the domains at additional cost.

It has always surprised me that Phil Cooper seems so apparently negative towards the ARGI he created. I have this feeling that I could have helped as I was once described as a "highly experienced negotiator" in an article in the Estates Gazette. It may be that he has also been abused and is just fed up with the people running ARGI. Nobody tells us whats going on inside ARGI. Does anyone know who has been discussing the site with Phil Cooper?

Tony

And that load of cr@p just shows you haven't a dam clue Tony.

It is not my place to explain Phillips action and I don't intend to pander to your pathetic trouble making.

Phillip started Argi for the benefit of all RGI's.

Argi and Phillip are here to stay with or without you and anyone else hell bent on rocking the boat.

Well John, why dont you want to explain the situation to us if you know any more. Thats been a major problem within ARGI, a lack of clear information!

The information which you said you were not aware of came from the hosting company in the US.

Tony

I know nothing about all these politics so totally unbiased, but in reply to Tony, just because someone owns the domain names doesn't mean it is them paying for, or having to pay for the hosting service, which if what you state is correct, where the usage bottleneck would have occured.

The hosting firm pulled the plug because it was upsetting their server and presumably contravened their hosting conditions.

Only the domain owner can direct and control the hosting. He would usually be billed but can arrange for someone else to pay if he wants to.

ARGI.org could be hosted on different servers either within the same firm or another firm.

Although it had a rather shock start the new site has the advantage that it can be developed and that would seem to be the way forward.

Tony

Agile said:
Well John, why dont you want to explain the situation to us if you know any more. Thats been a major problem within ARGI, a lack of clear information!

The information which you said you were not aware of came from the hosting company in the US.

Tony

I will not explain because I don't know, and neither does anyone else including you so stop guessing, the old site is history as far as Argi is concerned and we intend to develop the new into a proper web site with or without your comments and contrarious posting.

Put the brain in gear Tony and you could be an asset to Argi, instead of the joker.

Agile said:
I have this feeling that I could have helped as I was once described as a "highly experienced negotiator" in an article in the Estates Gazette.
Tony

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

did your mum write the article?

highly experienced comedian perhaps.

given that you continuously make many ridiculous statements on here tony i can only pray that no one has to use your negotiation skills in a life and death situation.....it would certainly end in tears.

Tony you have shown quite a bit of ignorance regarding the web hosting world (and in other areas?) and had you done just a little research you would have found out the true meaning of the contents of your various posts.

It is a well known fact in the hosting world, as well as everywhere else, that you get EXACTLY what you pay for and all the offers of low price hosting with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited web space etc are not all what they make out to be. They seem good on paper BUT what actually happened to ARGI is in fact a common occurance. If you actually asked Midphase is your story what they told you?

The hosting company will, on various occasions put messages on a successful site saying they have exceeded their 'resource allocation' even although that hosting company has offered unlimited resources. ARGI consists of a basic mySQL database and a handfull of web pages. Not exactly a huge amount of server space. Neither was it so busy that it would have exceeded a reasonable of traffic allocation.

Midphase seems to have tried this ploy in order to get ARGI to take on one of their more expensive hosting plans. As I said a common ploy in the web hosting market.

This is the exact reason why, after undertaking a fair amount of research, I formed AmberHost and rented part of a dedicated server in order to host themanualslibrary.co.uk I know I will never run out of resources and that part of the server is mine to do what I wish with I will never have messages that I have run out of resources. But it is not cheap - remember ARGI is on a limited budget!

Tony your comment regarding Philip hosting the site in America also seems a slur on Philips, and ARGI's, part. The Manuals Library is also hosted in America for very simple reasons. In this country the cost, in relation to facilities, is extortionate (typical of rip off Britain culture). Their technical support is FAR superior. British companies have much to learn from the Americans - I am ashamed to say.

Tony engage brain before typing out o load of c**p! As you well know I have had my differences with those at ARGI and may do so again! I suggested several times in the past to Doitall & Anto that they moved the site elsewhere. Thatr fell on stony ground but what the hell?

It is easy for me now to see the subject of web hosting from a more technical nature. Running a server is not something I would suggest to someone who has little or no knowledge of them or the various programming languages I found it a steep learning curve but every part of The Manuals Library, apart from the login and joining scripts were written by me.

Incidently Chris why did you say you expected doom on September 1st because the domain name was due to expire? A check with Nominet whois database shows it not due to expire until Sept 2008!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back