argi

Welll Mike, I think that the Corgi Trust would give ARGI a grant to help establish itself to represent the industry if they felt it was being run professionally, democratically and had a legal status.

CORGI badly needs a representative voice for the industry so that it can discuss some of its wilder ideas and particularly to get the industry on board to help them stamp out so much illegal gas work.

The Inspector appointed to spearhead the CORGI drive against illegals a year ago has made so little impact that few at the HQ have ever heard of him!

Because there are so many Polish working illegally on gas work CORGI have now employed a Polish speaking lady at their HQ. So far few illegals have called her though. Welcome to Magda!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I think that the Corgi Trust would give ARGI a grant to help establish itself to represent the industry if they felt it was being run professionally, democratically and had a legal status.
Not much chance of that then! Anyway if ARGI was funded by CORGI who would trust it to be an independent voice for the RGI?

ARGI's main problem remains the lack of funding due to their reluctance to have a membership subscription. The setting up of the new site would have been a good opportunity to introduce this and other reforms, but the opportunity appears to have been missed.

chrishutt said:
Agile said:
I think that the Corgi Trust would give ARGI a grant to help establish itself to represent the industry if they felt it was being run professionally, democratically and had a legal status.
Not much chance of that then! Anyway if ARGI was funded by CORGI who would trust it to be an independent voice for the RGI?

ARGI's main problem remains the lack of funding due to their reluctance to have a membership subscription. The setting up of the new site would have been a good opportunity to introduce this and other reforms, but the opportunity appears to have been missed.

Wrong again Chris. :rolleyes:

Reading the 5 pages it is clear there are some who do not like way Argi is run.

Way I see it, some forward looking people have taken on the task to bring to light what CORGI sweeps under the carpet. They are doing this at no cost to others.

Can the loud voice do better? If they can, what are they waiting for.

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
Wrong again Chris.
But you can't manage to say how I'm wrong. Not very convincing. :rolleyes:

DP said:
Can the loud voice do better? If they can, what are they waiting for.
Don't know who you are referring to, but for my part I joined ARGI over two years ago by registering on the argi.org.uk site. This has now been shut down by persons unknown and for reasons unknown. I'd have been happy to carry on with it, especially since most of those who took a different view on how these things should be run appear to have moved off to a new site. But someone doesn't seem to think there should be any choice.

Tony (Agile) to you personally - I neither know you or your background, apart from the various aspects of it that you have posted on various sites and I have no axe to grind with you. It does come across that you suffer from a major inferiority complex being obsessed with a conviction all are against you.

To DP your comment regarding why do those who shout so loud not do better? I along with others tried to become more involved with ARGI but it was so painfully obvious that a few want total control and ignore the suggestions of others. One such suggestion I made was the need to progress from just a forum to a full blown website to start with. Yes that did fall on stony ground, denied by doitall above with the comment that it was always the intention to go down that road eventually.

I offered to undertake that task but there was always problems with the web host & Phillip etc making any such move impossible, so nothing ever happened.

A new forum has started and I have to join a third time! Yes I have had my differences with ARGI but, as always, I am convinced there is a need for such an organisation. However until it starts introducing a membership fee it will never actually start going anywhere.

Further to earlier post regarding ARGI exceeding their allocated resources and my comment that really amounted to a scam by a number of hosting companies offering cheap hosting.

Midphase claim that they closed ARGI down for exceeding resources, according to the posts made by Agile on various forums. Midphase offer a low cost hosting package consisting of 200,000Mb web space and a transfer allowance of 3,000,000Mb! There is no possible way for ARGI to use that webspace with just a forum and the transfer allowance would cover many thousands of posts etc which would only dent their allowance!

The question is Midphase.com are fully aware of the resources required to make use of the allowances they offer so why other than to extract more money did they suspend the account?

Another excellent example, in the computer world, for this type of action, and it is extreemly common in this country, is to offer unlimited downloads for broadband accounts. Read the small print and you find that they operate 'fair usage policies'. Exceed a certain download allowance and they eithe cap you or transfer you to a slower connection for a while. Continue to exceed their 'fair usage' allowance and you could well find you are asked to transfer to a more expenseve package or find a new ISP! But hang on you are paying for unlimited downloads!!

chrishutt said:
I joined ARGI over two years ago by registering on the argi.org.uk site. This has now been shut down by persons unknown and for reasons unknown. I'd have been happy to carry on with it, especially since most of those who took a different view on how these things should be run appear to have moved off to a new site. But someone doesn't seem to think there should be any choice.

I have advised you that the old site was shut down by the hosting firm claiming the resources were exceeded, there is nothing sinister about that.

The new site is being run by exactly the same people who ran the old site so there is nothing different there. Again we are not told, but I gather that Curly has been developing it for some time as a way forward to overcome the locked problem with the old site.

Just because CORGI Trust gives a grant does not mean that it can influence what ARGI does and having met some of those concerned I dont think any of them would be even slightly deflected.

When I was a Union Branch Sec., the management provided a meeting room and coffee and lunch not to influence the Union but to ensure we were able to better represent the staff in discussions with the management.

CORGI badly needs a representative voice for RGIs.

Tony

Alan the need for a web site has been discussed for at least 2 years, and recorded in the minute's.

Tony Agri are represented on the £orgi Council

Agile said:
I have advised you that the old site was shut down by the hosting firm claiming the resources were exceeded, there is nothing sinister about that.
Perhaps so, but surely the hosting firm would have advised the client (ARGI) that it intended to close it down unless some alternative arrangement were made for paying for it. It wouldn't make any business sense to say nothing to the client but just suddenly close the account, thus alienating them as a future client.

The question arising from that is why were ARGI members told nothing about this problem and the options for dealing with it. Perhaps Philip Cooper was the client and didn't pass anything on to ARGI? If so, why not? If there was a serious lack of communication with Phil, why weren't members told about that? If nobody in ARGI knew that the site was likely to go down why was a new site rushed out in a panic just before the event?

There are so many unanswered questions. The clique that runs ARGI clearly don't see it as any business of "members" how these matters are dealt with. That is why I for one am not following them to the new site.

That is your choice Chris, we expected to loose a couple on the way.

The Committee had no idea what happened to the old site or whether the move and crash was related in some way. As far as Argi is concerned we got out in the nick of time. :cool: :cool:

My post is not to belittle efforts of those who 'took part but have a different viewpoint' so moved on, but aimed at those who shout from the sideline.

Having been on committees I am fully aware not everybody will be happy how things are done, but still pull together to achieve the goal.

doitall said:
The Committee had no idea what happened to the old site or whether the move and crash was related in some way.
Isn't it the business of the Committee to ensure that the site is properly managed? It doesn't exactly inspire confidence, if one accepts what you say. I can't believe that no one had any inkling of what was coming, that it was just a happy coincidence that a new site was up and running in the nick of time. Perhaps you were out of the loop, as they say.

The Committee had no idea what happened to the old site or whether the move and crash was related in some way. As far as Argi is concerned we got out in the nick of time.
And nobody seems to have tried to find out! But out of what in the nick of time?

ARGI-online was registered so why not a graceful transfer earlier?

Perhaps a good reason for membership fees and at least one parttime PAID official who could keep a proper eye on things.

The only real reason for having no idea must simply confirm that Phil Cooper is no longer anywhere in the picture!

Because the graceful transfer was suppose to be the 1st of Sept :rolleyes:

Fees are about to happen possibly the 1st of Oct along with a part time paid official. £1 a week has been recommended for full members before you ask.

Although it's of no concern to anyone, and does not affect the running of Argi you should not assume.

Come on you lot,

get a life for goodness sake!

Try a course of cross roads or listen to the Archers for a fortnight to calm you down.
Is this what over 15 years of CORGI suppression has brought you to?

If you are going to go on at each other like this please "dont"
fill in the form to get in to ARGI :D .

The form, where existing members are conserned (hows the spelling so far?) is merely an update of your info.

One reason for this is that people forget to mention that they have,

moved house,

changed their email address,

changed their land line phone number,

changed their Mobile phone number,

changed their employer or employment status

Its not difficult to see just how easy it has been for Basingstoke to walk all over you, is it. :D

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back