Ariston E-Combi 30 Internal Expansion Vessel replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum,
I would like to know your opinion on a recent discussion I had with my Home emergency team.
Our Combi boiler (Ariston Ecombi 30) needs its Expansion Vessel to be replaced.
The engineer came and suggested that the cheapest method is to install an external expansion vessel.
This in my opinion does not fix the fault. So I demanded that I want the internal one to be replaced. In other words, do the work properly.

He has come back and said that this is going to be expensive work as this is now a two person job. But on top of that he also quoted for a replacement flue.

I questioned this and asked does the flue need to be replaced as well?
Aren't they two separate systems?
obviously the person from the emergency company says they have to follow with what the experts say.

My question is that does the flue also need to be replaced?
If so why?

Many thanks,
Mat

Sponsored Links
Sounds odd. A customer of mine had an expansion vessel replaced without needing any work to the flue.

I would tell the home emergency company that if they are refusing to do the work you have asked for that you will commission an independent engineer's report on the condition of your boiler and the work needed to rectify any issues and hold the emergency company responsible for those repairs.

Or you could threaten to go to the papers.

Hi securespark,
Thanks for getting back.

That is exactly what I also felt when he mentioned this first.
Unfortunately, I wasn't at the property and only my mum was there.
I asked the emergency company that if I was to get an external gas safe registered engineer/company to have a look at this and quote me on the work, will you refund me the amount?
And to that I got the answer of NO.

Is this possible?

I can understand the cost of living crisis and all that stuff, but there is only a certain limit to how much BS one can stand.

Cheers,
Mat

The boiler needs to come off the wall on some models and they may think it's better to replace the flue at the same time. Who knows.

Nothing wrong with fitting an external one, it can save a lot of work.

Sponsored Links
Hi Doogle,
Yes, the engineer told the emergency company that the boiler needed to come off the wall - which I can understand (as the EV is situated behind the boiler). If this needs to be done, then I am all for it.
But the flue replacement just did not sit right with me.
furthermore, the external EV could stick out like a sore thumb (even if its the flat one) - which I don't want.

So atm, I am waiting for the company to come back with a quote.
Its now a waiting game :(

Cheers,
Mat

If the boiler needs to come off the wall the flue may get damaged so he is correct in having one in case.How much clearance have you around the boiler ,is it a rear flue or vertical

I will guarentee you that the so called engineer had absolutely no clue about how to properly service the existing expansion vessel and that it does not need replaced

What if the diaphragm has split Ian?
Very very rare, most so called engineers push in the schraeder valve and if they feeel any water or there is no pressure then they think it has failed and get a new vessel, too many havent a clue how to properly test or re-charge a vessel

@cross thread
I can understand that IF the flue gets damaged during the process, then a new one is required. How can someone make an assumption before the work is even started?
The flue is a vertical flue.
Cheers

@fixitflav
The boiler is situated in one end of the kitchen above the worktop and quite close to the wall. So, I wonder if he will have space to fit the expansion vessel (flat one) externally. I may be wrong.

But what I don't understand is that this doesn't fix the problem, it merely bypasses it.

But what I don't understand is that this doesn't fix the problem, it merely bypasses it.
Not really, the problem is fixed with an external vessel. Leaving the old one in place isn't a problem.

Hi guys,
So, I enquired with the insurance company and decided to get an external EV fitted. Apparently you can get flat ones that stay hidden. I presume this is the one that the engineer will be fitting. If not, then that's another battle I have to have with the insurance company.
anyways, now they are telling me that I would need to get the flue replaced myself as it is not covered under the policy.
My question is this:
why does the flu need to be replaced if the boiler is not coming off the wall? Surely the EV and flue are two separate circuits. I've asked for a reason for this and am now waiting for their response.
To me in simple terms, if the boiler is not taken off the wall, then the flue is untouched. And I presume all the engineer has to do is to put a tee into the return pipe and connect the EV. He will not be touching the flue.
furthermore, the flue does not have any problems as far as I know.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back