Ariston Microgenus 23 Boiler - Ignition Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Ariston Microgenus 23 combi boiler that goes to ignition lockout intermittently, and have to reset the boiler around 4/5 times a day.

The central heating works fine, but it is the hot water which causes the ignition lockout light to come on and then the boiler needs to be reset.

I have tried to monitor it and it is usually only when the upstairs mixer tap hot water is ran. Sometimes I will need to turn the tap on/off 3 or 4 times to receive any hot water and other times it will reset when the boiler is not doing anything (i.e. overnight).

Yesterday, I monitored what the boiler does whilst someone is using the hot water from the mixer tap through the shower head.

It fired up fine, (though when it reached 80 deg on the control panel, I noticed the burner would go out and then fire up again when the temp went back down to 70 deg (this happened 3 times in 10 mins)).
The red lcd light came on as soon as hot water was detected and went off as soon as the hot water was turned off.

It seemed to work fine (it went slightly colder 3 times but this must have been during the temp decrease), but then the boiler went to ignition lockout and reset about 3 minutes after the hot water had been turned off!

This is the usual cause, someone has a shower through the mixer tap and then it resets a few minutes after.

Also, on the odd occasion it resets instantly after I've reset it.

Had 2 gas engineers out (friends of friends), one basically said bin it as its 11 years old and there is no point is throwing money at it, and the other said it could be the diverter valve? I'm reluctant to replace part after part on an old boiler, but on the other hand I can't afford a new boiler due to having a young family!

Anyone ever had a similar problem with this boiler?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back