armoured cable question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can armoured cable be run on its own( no trunking etc..) underthe ground in soil ? this is to run power to a shed at the other end of the garden. is there any spec. cable what needs to be used for this?
thanks

Sponsored Links
is there any spec. cable what needs to be used for this?

sorry i ment the size of the armoued cable and what rateings etc...
sorry i forgot to mention that bit :oops:

Yes you can run SWA under the ground, at least 900mm below surface level, on a sand bed, with warning tape on top, RCD protected.

As for the size this is effected by what you intend to use it to supply, the length of run etc

A few more details and we can probably help a bit more

Yes you can run SWA under the ground, at least 900mm below surface level, on a sand bed, with warning tape on top, RCD protected.

As for the size this is effected by what you intend to use it to supply, the length of run etc

A few more details and we can probably help a bit more

A couple of your answers might need tweaking.....

Sponsored Links
cool.

is the sand bed just normal sand ? or does it have to be a speacial type?

i intend to suply sockets into the shed and one rcd mk socket for the lawn mower etc.. and i also want to run a light inside the shed and one bulkhead outside the shed.
as for length it wil be roughly 18 metres(includeing the tail length(to come out of the ground)
thanks

Sorry Ric, off the top of my head 18" below ground (not good at metric :cry: )

Sand/shale bed

RCD protection at the shed end

Appropriate MCB at the CU

Any better

Ric?

so what mm cable do i need to use i would have thought 2.5mm 3 core cable would be fine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back