Armoured Cable Regs???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Just about to do my garage and was planning to lay my garage supply 0.5m deep in 4mm armoured 4 core. This is what my spark suggested.

However, just been chatting to a 17th edition spark who is doing some cabling at work & he says there is now no requirement to bury it. Especially as I plan to run it under decking.

Can someone clarify please?
If I need to bury it - can I put it in a trench with a drain to save digging 2 trenches?

Many thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
Burying it is the safest place.

Why 4 core?

You only want to run the cable once, so best run in the largest cable you can afford now. Over-speccing the circuit will do no harm.

4mm² cable is a bit of a no mans land in terms of what its used for. I'd plump for 6mm² or 10mm² cables, 3 core. You can then use the 3rd core as an earth, in case you have any ECPs in the garage that need bonding.

Thanks Steve
Could be 3 core - been a while since I bought it.
It is already run in the house, so not much chance of changing it now.
Most I will be running is a small domestic welder. Most have suggested 4mm will be ok. I hope they were correct :(

Is it ok to bury it with the rain water drain?

Sponsored Links
It is already run in the house, so not much chance of changing it now.
It's always a good idea to make irrevocable decisions and/or carry out irreversible acts before asking advice, don't you think?

Thanks, but the post wan't about whether the cable would be suitable, it was about how to lay it! I've just looked at the receipt - it is 6mmsq.
Ban - your advice is good, but your attitude still needs work. :rolleyes: :LOL:
Thanks any way.

Thanks Steve

This is an electrics uk forum where people can come and find advice on funnily enough electrics - No one here wants advice on their attitude -GOT IT! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back