Suspending armoured cable on a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I've been looking through your posts on wiring power to outbuildings. I have a length of 3 core armoured cable that has to go through the kitchen wall and about 8 meters to the garage. The connections will be made by an electrician but I will do the trenching/lay the cabling for him.

Here's the problem: If i go out of the wall and immediately down, I hit the supply box and then have LONG trench to dig through concrete etc. Alternatively I could attach the cable to the outside wall of the kitchen at a height of about 2.5 meters (8') and from there down to a shorter trench under the lawn.

I realise the overhead height of armoured cable should be higher, 10' about, but does that apply to cable attached to the wall?

Also, the wall is south facing, would the black cable get damaged by the heat/UV after a while? would painting it white help at all?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
8 feet sounds good when cleating to the wall.

Black conduit/cable etc is generally UV stable, so will not suffer in sunlight.

Better if at all poss to bury cable rather than string it up on a catenary - it looks much better (iykwim) buried out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back