armoured cable to log cabin

My garage is connected to the house with 20M of 16.0mm² SWA. I tried a powerline jobby and it couldn't get a connection in the garage.

Sponsored Links
I was gonna sort web connection with one of those powerline extender things.
And your reason for doing that rather than doing it properly is what?

Hopefully it will be ok.
Will you mind not having any network connectivity down there if it isn't OK?

10mm 2 core seems the overall best call on cable.
You'll drop 0.44V/A over 100m of 10mm².

If you are guided by the advice in the wiring regulations, that means that anything more than 15A puts you over the limit.

10mm² is rather shirt-sighted, IMO.

I tried a powerline jobby and it couldn't get a connection in the garage.
And could have been interfering with other peoples radio and TV reception. Powerline devices should be banned. they make the power cable radiate RF energy. If a laptop radiated the same sort of RF energy it would be banned from legal sale. But hey, the Powerline device isn't radiating, it is the mains cable that is at fault, the Powerline device is innocent. { end of sarcasm }

Sponsored Links
original 100m distance was based upon running along fence line, just paced it out and its 70m tops from the back of the house in the rough line of the trench.
What's the problem with powerline adapters? are they dodgy in some way?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...te-owners-bad-powerline-network-adapters.html

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/plt/

The loop hole that allowed these things to be sold was that the device itself does not radiate interference so can be approved as a stand alone item. Connect two on a straight length of twin and earth mains cable and the cable will radiate a small amount of RF but as the Live and Neutral are laid side by side the cable is very much like a balanced transmission line. Radiation from data signals on the Live is equal and opposite to the radiation from the signals on the Neutral and hence they cancel each other out. Hence in this configuration they are not a source of significant interference that would affect domestic wireless equipment.

The problem is that appliances and light circuits do not keep the Live and Neutral side by side and therefor the radiations do not cancel out and local wireless equipment can be affected.

You'll drop 0.44V/A over 100m of 10mm².

If you are guided by the advice in the wiring regulations, that means that anything more than 15A puts you over the limit.

10mm² is rather shirt-sighted, IMO.
I have looked at 10mm² and 102.5 meters at 25A installation method C, I get a 0.4 increase in impedance and 10 volts drop. Do remember Correction factor Ct = 0.88701171875 so it is 3.9028515625 mV/A/m although 10 volts is over the 6.9 volt for lights it is still under the 11.5 for sockets. As I said before it depends what lighting is to be used and what you take as the Design current for circuit Ib although using a 25A MCB that does not make it the Design current for circuit Ib with a ring final the MCB is 32A but the Design current for circuit Ib is 26A.

At that distance I think TT would be order of the day, so ELI is not a problem and no real point in three core cable as not using the earth. So only limit is volt drop.

One can protect an installation with a 32A MCB but the design current is still 10A. This is not uncommon with motors. It is all down to the guy or girl who signs the installation certificate. It is how he sees the rules that matters.

As to powerline adapters I would like to see them banned. The first generation used just HF so only radio hams complained about them. Now they are hitting the VHF range and knock out domestic radio and even TV. There EMC is really silly, if as a Radio ham I caused that much interference I would be closed down and rightfully so.

As to them working it relies on no one else using the same device, and unlike WiFi there is little or no encryption on wired LAN and the computer sees it as a wired LAN connection. So the router is not protecting you. I know people who think it's really funny to break into the LAN and change or place passwords so the user can't use stuff, they say it's justified as they stop their hobby, I don't agree with it but can see the point.

What about a generator?
Expensive to buy, even more expensive to run, noisy, creates air pollution, requires somewhere to store fuel, hassle of transporting fuel to the generator, it and the fuel are fairly likely to be stolen, may require planning permission.

peak-pole-transformer.jpg
+
peak-pole-transformer.jpg

There was at one time a concern that power line adaptors could affect the tripping of some designs of RCD. At least one manufacturer modified their design to reduce the problem.

At least one manufacturer modified their design to reduce the problem.
What a pity.
If they had not, persons who purchased the PLAs would find they tripped the RCD when plugged in, and would have concluded that the PLA was faulty.

persons who purchased the PLAs would find they tripped the RCD when plugged in
If only life were that simple...
More likely intermittent tripping, depending on what loads are on in the house and what's going on on the PLA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back