Army recruitment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is joining the British army like joining the french foreign legion.
Will they take anyone with aptitude even if they have legal convictions either past or pending?
I'm not thinking of joining btw, I'm too old and too past it for that rubbish.

Sponsored Links
No.
But not as straight forward as that, drugs and associated no way.
Certain other stuff does not have to be disclosed or is "spent" and is also null and void.

What if somebody who was currently going through training had committed identity fraud? Would the army be interested in that?

Everyone makes mistakes and a criminal conviction doesn’t have to stop you from joining the Army. Be honest about your past history when you come in for a chat, and we might be able to offer you that all-important second chance.
With the chance to learn a trade and skills that last a lifetime, Army life is a great way to make a fresh start.

Some convictions are forgotten – or ‘spent’ – after a rehabilitation period. The length of this period depends on the offence. You must tell us about any unspent convictions you have. For some jobs you’ll need to tell us about any convictions when you apply, whether spent or not. You need to be honest – if you hide a conviction before joining up, you could be prosecuted later.

Source http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20161.aspx

I would ask my sons CO, but as they are talking Sandhurst scholarship I do not think its a good question to ask :D

Sponsored Links
So no drug convictions and not allowed to take drugs? But you can invade a country that will then flood your country with drugs....oh the irony.
Those maimed soldiers who just rowed the Atlantic did a great job, but again the irony of them losing legs etc in Afghanistan, whilst allowing a pipeline to be built through the country for the oil corporations with the new puppet govt installed.... and one of the main sponsors of the trip was BP... :eek:

You've got to be mental to join the army. It's full of psychopaths.

I heard on QI the other day that more Vietnam Vets have now committed suicide than died in action. The Afghan vets will fare no better.

Have to agree with Joe on that. After two tours of Ireland in the 70's my old man went bonkers....that was just the stress of being shot or blown up never mind being in a full on war...

You've got to be mental to join the army. It's full of psychopaths.

I heard on QI the other day that more Vietnam Vets have now committed suicide than died in action. The Afghan vets will fare no better.

interesting that Joe's font of all knowledge ir QI !!!! :eek:

for me the army is a very basic representation of the human being...

it's layered in at least three seperate layers... which reflect some quarters of society..

Firstly the fighters.... testosterone filled MEN (and i make no apology for this ) who think scrapping and beating up is normal, but are trainable. And then middle management - who are leaders with balls big enough to shout at, and control the hordes.... And the the Majors, ad the strategics leaders..... (aka steven fry !!)

Wotever IM, so typical.

Anyway

Fact Deaths in Vietnam (US only) 58K ish

Fiction Suicides of Veterans 200,000 (A VA doctor estimated the number of Vietnam Veteran suicides totaled 200,000 men. He said, "The reason the official suicide statistics were so much lower was that in many cases the suicides were documented as accidents, primarily single-car drunk driving accidents and self-inflicted gunshot wounds that were not accompanied by a suicide note.")

Yeah right, and those same could be attributed to other reasons just as easily.

Wotever IM, so typical.

Anyway

Fact Deaths in Vietnam (US only) 58K ish

Fiction Suicides of Veterans 200,000 (A VA doctor estimated the number of Vietnam Veteran suicides totaled 200,000 men. He said, "The reason the official suicide statistics were so much lower was that in many cases the suicides were documented as accidents, primarily single-car drunk driving accidents and self-inflicted gunshot wounds that were not accompanied by a suicide note.")

Yeah right, and those same could be attributed to other reasons just as easily.

yeah wotever (whatever) alarm... !!! :rolleyes:

Awwww, a spelling check..............did you use your snipping tool too?

Sponsored Links
Back