Artex Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we have recently moved to has the most intense artex walls I have come across. I know many people love the style but I really do not (my wife does on the other hand!)

We were also warned by the surveyor that it is highly likely to contain asbestos given that the house is 90 years old and the artex was certainly done pre-1980. :unsure:

In some places the artex has holes/tears. It's just general wear and tear of age. There is no large quantity of dust floating around.

Obviously the most effective choice is to pay to have it professionally removed, but that is certainly not cheap and beyond our immediate budget.

In this circumstance what would you do? Some of the options we have discussed are..
* Repair the holes/tears and paint it all nicely.
* Plasterboard over the lot until you could afford to have it professionally removed?
* Something else??

Sponsored Links
Get a plasterer in to skim the lot...it's an everyday job to them. ;)

Asbestos is fine if left undisturbed and even when it comes to drilling for fixtures after it has been skimmed, the health risk is negligible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back